Indian Wells: Sania-Vesnina crushed in finalsMarch 18th, 2012 - 7:59 pm ICT by IANS
Indian Wells (California), March 18 (IANS) India’s Sania Mirza and her Russian partner Elena Vesnina lost to American pair Liezel Huber and Lisa Raymond in the women’s doubles final of the BNP Paribas Open tennis tournament.
Having won titles at Paris, Doha and Dubai in the previous two months, the tops seeds had little difficulty Saturday as they eased past Sania-Vesnina 6-2, 6-3 for their fourth WTA title of the year.
“Right now we’re just playing well. When we step on the court we feel the other team is going to have to play really well to beat us, whether or not there are tough conditions. We have proven that over the past few weeks. And even if anyone ever thinks we’re down and out, we’ll find a way to win,” said Raymond.
“If we’re ever having a bad moment we try to keep it as short as possible,” Huber said. “Like if I’ve made an error or two errors, I know it’s not permanent, just take two minutes, forgive yourself and move on. Just think of the next game.
“Our run has been unbelievable, we have come close to losing at times, but we have worked very hard, and the hard work has been showing in our great results.”
Raymond has now won the Indian Wells doubles title seven times, and with four different partners (three times with Lindsay Davenport, twice with Samantha Stosur and once each with Rennae Stubbs and Huber). For Huber, this was her first title here.
- Sania-Vesnina reach finals of Indian Wells - Mar 17, 2012
- Australian Open: Sania-Vesnina surprise Raymond-Huber to enter semis - Jan 24, 2012
- Sania-Vesnina thrashed in Dubai Open final - Feb 26, 2012
- We'll win a Grand Slam doubles title some day: Vesnina - Jun 04, 2011
- Sania-Vesnina advance to finals in Dubai - Feb 25, 2012
- We hold the edge in the final: Sania (Lead) - Jun 02, 2011
- Sania-Vesnina win Indian Wells women's doubles title - Mar 20, 2011
- Sania first Indian to reach women's doubles Grand Slam final - Jun 02, 2011
- Australian Open: Paes-Stepanek, Sania-Bhupathi in semis (Roundup) - Jan 25, 2012
- Sania-Vesnina finish runners up at French Open (Lead) - Jun 03, 2011
- Paes-Vesnina beat top seeds to enter Wimbledon final - Jul 08, 2012
- Sania-Elena win second WTA Tour title - Apr 11, 2011
- Sania, Elena win Indian Wells title (Lead) - Mar 20, 2011
- Sania-Elena in Family Circle Cup's doubles quarters - Apr 07, 2011
- Paes-Vesnina in Wimbledon mixed doubles semis (Lead) - Jul 06, 2012
Tags: bnp paribas, california march, doha, dubai, elena, India, indian wells california, liezel huber, lindsay davenport, lisa raymond, open tennis tournament, paris, rennae stubbs, samantha stosur, sania mirza, seeds, seven times, three times, tops, two minutes