Indian Wells: Federer thrashes Nadal, Isner shocks DjokovicMarch 18th, 2012 - 9:24 pm ICT by IANS
Indian Wells (California), March 18 (IANS) Swiss maestro Roger Federer avenged his Australian Open semifinal loss to Rafael Nadal but ousting the Spaniard in straight sets while American John Isner shocked World No.1 Novak Djokovic in the other semi-final at the BNP Paribas Open here.
After a three-hour rain delay Saturday, when the pair took the court, Federer dismissed his long time rival 6-3, 6-4 to reach his fourth final here.
Serbian Djokovic suffered a shock defeat against Isner, who continued to prove his status as a serious contender on the men’s tour. The American though had to battle hard as he beat Djokovic 7-6(7), 3-6, 7-6(5) to reach his first ATP World Tour Masters final.
Having already won the tournament three consecutive times 2004-06, Federer will face the American Isner for a fourth title here.
“Very happy that a tough week like this gives me an opportunity to win the tournament,” Federer was quoted as saying by the official ATP website.
“Really it’s unbelievable that I never thought I would come so far. It’s been a great week so far, and it’s another opportunity tomorrow to make it even more special. Obviously conditions were tough today, and against one of my greatest rivals, it’s always nice if you come out on top, so I’m very, very happy.”
The 30-year-old leads the circuit with a 21-2 mark in 2012, and has won 38 of his past 40 matches since a semi-final exit at the US Open 2011.
Isner has already got the better of the Swiss player as he beat him in Davis Cup action this year.
- Federer claims fourth Indian Wells title - Mar 19, 2012
- Federer to take on Tsonga in Paris final - Nov 13, 2011
- Federer wins his first Paris Masters 1000 title - Nov 14, 2011
- Federer demolishes Nadal to go into ATP Finals last four - Nov 23, 2011
- Ferrer thrashes Djokovic to reach semis at ATP final - Nov 24, 2011
- Nadal beats Federer, wins sixth French Open crown (Lead) - Jun 06, 2011
- Djokovic wins Rogers Cup, eyes US Open - Aug 13, 2012
- Top 8 have equal chance of winning London Tour Finals: Federer - Nov 12, 2011
- Federer adds more records on way to London final - Nov 27, 2011
- Nadal to meet Federer in semis - Mar 17, 2012
- US Open: Top four men cruise into semis - Sep 10, 2011
- Djokovic: Taking on Nadal in French Open final is ultimate challenge - Jun 09, 2012
- US Open: Somdev takes on Murray, Sania plays Peer - Aug 26, 2011
- US Open: Djokovic into semis; Nadal, Murray, Roddick reach quarters - Sep 09, 2011
- Djokovic cruises past Ferrer in Miami - Mar 30, 2012
Tags: atp world tour, australian open, bnp paribas, california march, consecutive times, davis cup, final exit, hour rain delay, indian wells california, isner, novak djokovic, rafael nadal, rivals, roger federer, semifinal loss, shock defeat, spaniard, straight sets, swiss player, thrashes