Indian U-22 soccer squad leaves for MuscatJune 14th, 2012 - 6:11 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 14 (IANS) The Indian Under-22 squad is set to leave for Dubai for an eight-day training camp ahead of the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) Championship’s qualifier in Muscat.
The 28-member team coached by Australian Arthur Papas leaves for the Dubai camp Thursday and will shift to base to Muscat June 21.
Besides training at the Al Wasl Training Ground in Dubai, India would also be playing two practice matches including one against DNATA Club.
India have been clubbed with UAE, Oman, Iraq, Lebanon and Turkmenistan in Group A.
Papas, who has been in charge of the squad since June 1, admitted it was a tough group.
“They are quality teams. But since we have trained together since the first day of the month, there are signs of improvement,” he said.
India play their first match against Lebanon June 23 at the Al Seeb Sports Stadium in Muscat. The squad would be pruned down to 23 before the squad leaves Dubai for the Championship.
The list of 28 players stay as follows:
Goalkeepers: Gurpreet Singh Sandhu (Kingfisher East Bengal), Ravi Kumar (Pailan Arrows), Soram Poirei Angamba (Shillong Lajong FC).
Defenders: Pritam Kotal, Vishal Kumar, Souvik Ghosh, Prathamesh Maulinkar, Deepak Devrani (all from Pailan Arrows), Narayan Das, Yumnam Chingkhei (all from Tata Football Academy), Abhishek Das (Kingfisher East Bengal), Ramandeep Singh (Air India).
Midfielders: Bikramjit Singh (Sr), Pronoy Halder, Ognam Milan Singh, Thirthankar Sarkar, Alwyn George, (all from Pailan Arrows), Simranjit Singh (Tata Football Academy), David Lalbiakzara, Ganeshan (both from Pune FC), Deepak Prakash (HAL), Lalrindika Ralte (Churchill Brothers), Shyju Mon (Chirag Kerala), Romeo Fernandes (Dempo).
Forwards: Rajinder Kumar, Holicharan Narzary, (both from Pailan Arrows), Jeje Lalpekhlua (Pune FC), Manandeep Singh (Air India).
Fixtures: India vs Lebanon (June 23), India vs Iraq (June 25), India vs United Arab Emirates (June 28), India vs Turkmenistan (June 30) and India vs Oman (July 3).
- Jeje to lead India U-22 in AFC Championship qualifiers - Jun 20, 2012
- Federation Cup: Holders Salgaocar in tough group - Aug 24, 2012
- Four new faces in India squad for Bayern Munich game - Dec 28, 2011
- First match of AFC qualifier very critical: Coach - Jun 22, 2012
- Arnab, Clifford ruled out from AFC Challenge Cup - Mar 02, 2012
- Pailan face resurgent Lajong in I-League - Feb 04, 2012
- Federation Cup: East Bengal clubbed with Dempo and Pune FC - Aug 18, 2011
- 'Indian footballers should stick to their natural style' - Aug 12, 2012
- Federation Cup: Pune FC placed in tough draw - Aug 31, 2012
- SAI refuses to pay for national soccer team's Dubai tour - Feb 15, 2012
- Pailan Arrows face Air India in I-League - Apr 13, 2012
- AFC U-22: India need to be consistent against UAE in qualifiers - Jun 27, 2012
- I-League: Churchill Brothers looking to finish second - May 05, 2012
- IFA Shield: Pune FC share honours with Pailan Arrows - Mar 04, 2012
- India hold UAE 1-1 in U-22 AFC Championship qualifier - Jun 29, 2012
Tags: afc championship, air india, al wasl, asian football confederation, churchill brothers, club india, dempo, east bengal, football academy, gurpreet singh, june 25 india, pailan, quality teams, ramandeep singh, ravi kumar, shyju, singh sandhu, soccer squad, united arab emirates, vishal kumar