Indian Test squad chosen from the future point of view: SrikkanthOctober 29th, 2011 - 1:33 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Oct 29 (IANS) India’s chief selector Krishnamachari Srikkanth Friday said that the Indian squad for the first Test against West Indies in Delhi has been chosen with an eye on the future and exuded confidence that the side would do well.
Srikkanth said the best available squad has been picked.
“We think from the future point of view. We have to look at building the side from the perspective of the future”.
The quintet of selectors have opted for a young side that includes five fresh faces - spinners Ravichandran Ashwin and Rahul Sharma, pacers Umesh Yadav and Varun Aaron and opener Ajinkya Rahane.
Srikkanth said Sachin Tendulkar, Virender Sehwag, Yuvraj Singh and Ishant Sharma were chosen only after the selectors were convinced they were fully fit.
“Everybody is 100 percent fit, I can assure you that fitness will not be a concern,” he said.
He said the selection was preceded by a healthy discussion between the selectors, skipper M.S. Dhoni, coach Duncan Fletcher and Board of Control for Cricket in India secretary Sanjay Jagdale.
He refused to go into the reasons for omitting veteran off spinner Harbhajan Singh.
Assuring the media persons that good days lie ahead for Indian cricket, Srikkanth said there was now healthy competition among the prospects which would serve the game well in the country.
- Ashwin in Indian team, Harbhajan kept out - Oct 29, 2011
- Yuvraj included in World T20 preliminary squad - Jul 18, 2012
- Selectors bite the bullet, discard Harbhajan; Saha reserve wicketkeeper (Lead) - Nov 26, 2011
- Yuvraj returns for T20 World Cup, Harbhajan recalled (Second Lead) - Aug 10, 2012
- Tendulkar opts out; Sehwag, Zaheer back for Lanka tour (Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- Harbhajan fails to make comeback to ODI squad - Oct 18, 2011
- Harbhajan left out of Australia squad - Nov 26, 2011
- Mithun replaces Praveen in Test squad for Australia tour - Dec 06, 2011
- New training gear for Indian cricket team - Jul 17, 2012
- Sachin to play in Asia Cup, Sehwag rested (Lead) - Feb 29, 2012
- Rohit out, Chawla in: No other surprises in World Cup squad (Second Lead) - Jan 17, 2011
- Open to coaching India: Ganguly - Sep 06, 2012
- Will Harbhajan be the 17th player for Oz tour? - Nov 25, 2011
- Pujara, Chawla get Test call-up - Aug 10, 2012
- We want Yuvraj in T20 World Cup: Srikkanth - Jul 05, 2012
Tags: duncan fletcher, first test, fresh faces, future point, harbhajan singh, indian cricket, indian test, ishant sharma, kolkata, m s dhoni, media persons, ravichandran, sanjay, sehwag yuvraj, selectors, tendulkar, test squad, varun, yadav, yuvraj singh