Indian teams make Asian Squash finalsMay 5th, 2012 - 4:33 pm ICT by IANS
Kuwait City, May 5 (IANS) For the first time in the history of the Asian Squash Championships, India made the men’s and women’s finals here Friday.
In the semifinals, the Indian women beat Korea 2-0 to set up a title clash with Hong Kong, who overcame Malaysia 2-1, while the men ousted Kuwait 2-0 and take on arch-rivals Pakistan who eliminated Malaysia.
In the women’s semifinal, Anaka set the ball rolling with outplaying Yang Yeon Soo 3-1. Anaka showed great maturity in her overall game to outrun her more experience opponent.
In the second singles, India No.1 Dipika Pallikal lived up to expectations by cruising past the Korean champion Song Sun Mi in straight games.
In the men’s semifinal, India took on hosts Kuwait, who were supported by a vociferous crowd. Harinder Pal Singh Sandhu, playing first, handled the tense situation superbly and contained the extremely aggressive Salem Fayez Mohammed.
Both players displayed superb retrieving abilities but Harinder came out the victor in straight games with his more consistent display.
India No. 1 Saurav Ghosal, the highest ranked player in the tournament, outwitted the talented Abdullah Al Muzayen 3-1.
Ghosal, an improved and mature player, had a precise plan of pinning Al Muzayen to his weaker backhand side. This paid although Al Muzayen displayed his characteristic finishing shots to the delight of the gallery.
“This is a remarkable performance, we are very proud of our players,” said Cyrus Poncha after India’s historic entry into the final.
The results (semifinals):
Men - India beat Kuwait 2-0: Harinder Pal Singh Sandhu bt Salem Fayez Mohammed 12-10, 11-9, 11-7; Saurav Ghosal bt Abdullah Al Muzayen 12-10, 12-14, 11-9, 11-7.
Women - India beat Korea 2-0: Anaka Alankmony bt Yang Yeon Soo 11-8, 8-11, 11-9, 11-2; Dipika Pallikal bt Song Sun Mi 11-7, 11-8, 11-2.
- Indian teams in Asian squash finals - May 05, 2012
- Asian squash: Indian men in last eight - May 03, 2012
- Winning start by Indian teams at Asian Squash - May 02, 2012
- India suffer second defeat in Squash World Cup - Mar 09, 2011
- Ghoshal, Pallikal win national squash titles - Dec 10, 2011
- Asian Squash: Indian teams in semi-finals - May 04, 2012
- Ghosal, Pallikal in title round of National Squash championship - Dec 09, 2011
- India record second win in world team squash - Aug 23, 2011
- Indian women bag Asian Squash title, men lose to Pakistan - May 06, 2012
- Dipika enters semi-finals of Asian Squash - May 02, 2010
- Joshna, Dipika in quarter-finals of Asian squash championship - May 01, 2010
- National Squash championship: Malik ousts Jangra - Dec 08, 2011
- India go down fighting to England in World Cup squash - Mar 08, 2011
- Ghosal, Sandhu advance in Chennai Open squash - Mar 09, 2010
- Asian Games squash: Successful day for India (Lead) - Nov 22, 2010
Tags: anaka, arch rivals, champion, crowd, cyrus poncha, dipika pallikal, fayez, indian women, kuwait city, maturity, mohammed, opponent, precise plan, ranked player, remarkable performance, saurav, squash championships, straight games, tense situation, title clash