Indian teams in Asian squash finalsMay 5th, 2012 - 1:58 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, May 5 (IANS) For the first time in the history of the Asian Squash Championship, India is the men’s and women’s finals.
In the semi-finals here Friday, Indian women beat South Korea 2-0 to set up a title clash with Hong Kong, who overcame Malaysia 2-1.
The Indian men ousted Kuwait 2-0 to take on arch rivals Pakistan, who eliminated Malaysia.
In the women’s semi-final, Anaka set the ball rolling with a command performance, outplaying Yang Yeon Soo 3-1.
Anaka showed great maturity in her game to outrun her more experienced opponent.
In the second singles, India’s No.1 Dipika Pallikal lived up to expectations by cruising past champion Song Sun Mi in straight games.
In the men’s semis, India defeated Kuwait, who were supported by a vociferous crowd.
Harinder Pal Singh Sandhu, playing first, handled the tense situation superbly and contained the extremely aggressive Salem Fayez Mohammed.
Both players displayed superb retrieving abilities but Harinder emerged as the winner in straight games with his consistent display.
India’s No.1 Saurav Ghosal, the highest ranked player in the tournament, outwitted the talented Abdullah Al Muzayen 3-1.
Ghosal, an improved and mature player, had a precise plan of pinning Al Muzayen to his weaker backhand side.
This paid off although Al Muzayen displayed his characteristic finishing shots to the delight of the gallery.
“This is a remarkable performance, we are very proud of our players,” said Cyrus Poncha after India’s historic entry into the final.
The results (semi-finals):
Men - India beat Kuwait 2-0: Harinder Pal Singh Sandhu beat Salem Fayez Mohammed 12-10, 11-9, 11-7; Saurav Ghosal beat Abdullah Al Muzayen 12-10, 12-14, 11-9, 11-7.
Women - India beat Korea 2-0: Anaka Alankmony beat Yang Yeon Soo 11-8, 8-11, 11-9, 11-2; Dipika Pallikal beat Song Sun Mi 11-7, 11-8, 11-2.
- Indian teams make Asian Squash finals - May 05, 2012
- Asian Squash: Indian teams in semi-finals - May 04, 2012
- Asian squash: Indian men in last eight - May 03, 2012
- Winning start by Indian teams at Asian Squash - May 02, 2012
- Ghosal, Pallikal in title round of National Squash championship - Dec 09, 2011
- India suffer second defeat in Squash World Cup - Mar 09, 2011
- Indian women bag Asian Squash title, men lose to Pakistan - May 06, 2012
- Ghoshal, Pallikal win national squash titles - Dec 10, 2011
- India record second win in world team squash - Aug 23, 2011
- Dipika enters semi-finals of Asian Squash - May 02, 2010
- Joshna, Dipika in quarter-finals of Asian squash championship - May 01, 2010
- Asian Games squash: Indian men blank Japan, women beat China - Nov 22, 2010
- Asian Games squash: Successful day for India (Lead) - Nov 22, 2010
- Squash World Cup: Malaysia shock France to enter semis - Mar 10, 2011
- WSF Squash: India to meet Egypt in final - Feb 04, 2012
Tags: anaka, arch rivals, command performance, cyrus poncha, dipika pallikal, fayez, indian men, indian women, mohammed, precise plan, ranked player, remarkable performance, saurav, semi finals, semis, south korea, squash, straight games, tense situation, title clash