Indian teams 10th and 13th in FIH rankingsNovember 2nd, 2011 - 3:01 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Nov 2 (IANS) India are placed 10th and 13th among men and women in the latest International Hockey Federation World rankings released Tuesday.
World champions Australia (men) and 2008 Olympic gold medalists the Netherlands (women) occupy the top spots in the rankings.
The Indian men’s team has had a dismal run during the ranking cycle. In 2007, they finished third in the Champions Challenge; in 2008, runners-up to Britain in the Olympic qualifier and thus failed to qualify for the 2008 Beijing Games; in 2009, third in Champions Challenge; in 2010, eighth in the World Cup that they hosted in New Delhi.
In the Asian region, India are currently ranked fourth behind Pakistan, Malaysia and Korea following regional competitions.
The women’s team’s performance during the same four-year period runs parallel to that of the men’s.
Ranked fourth behind China, Korea and Japan in the Asian region, the Indians were third in 2007 Champions Challenge; failed to qualify for the 2008 Beijing Olympics; first in 2009 Champions Challenge - II; ninth at the 2010 World Cup and seventh in 2011 Champions Challenge - I.
The top 10 rankings are:
Men - Australia 1 (2,620 points); Germany 2 (2,470); The Netherlands 3 (2,213); Spain 4 (1,990); England 5 (1,947); Korea 6 (1,788); New Zealand 7 (1,610); Argentina 8 (1,470); Pakistan 9 (1,460); India 10 (1,385).
Women - The Netherlands 1 (2,063 points); Argentina 2 (2,030); Germany 3 (1,765); England 4 (1,696); China 5 (1,675); New Zealand 6 (1,615); Australia 7 (1,548); Korea 8 (1,423); Japan 9 (1,318); United States 10 (1,233).
- South African men's hockey team qualifies for London Olympics - May 06, 2012
- India face Holland in Olympic hockey opener - May 22, 2012
- FIH accommodate Pakistan in 2011 Champions Trophy - Dec 17, 2010
- Olympic hockey: Netherlands beat Argentina to defend women's title - Aug 11, 2012
- FIH to launch World League - Feb 22, 2011
- Olympic sailing: New Zealand snatches gold in women's 470 - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympic sailing: Australia win men's 470 class gold - Aug 10, 2012
- Ritu to lead India in Champions Challenge 1 - Sep 10, 2012
- Australia glide to gold in men's 470 sailing - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympic table tennis: China secures another gold - Aug 02, 2012
- Olympics: Suhr soars over Isinbayeva, China still on top (World Roundup) - Aug 07, 2012
- Olympics: Merritt leads US gold rush in athletics (World Roundup) - Aug 09, 2012
- Rani, 15, nominated for FIH award - Oct 28, 2010
- China set to challenge US dominance in pool - Jul 11, 2012
- Olympics: India's archers primed for glory (Preview) - Jul 26, 2012
Tags: 2008 beijing olympics, asian region, dismal run, gold medalists, indian men, indians, international hockey federation, korea, men and women, netherlands women, New Delhi, nov 2, olympic gold, olympic qualifier, olympics, pakistan, regional competitions, runners, world champions australia, world cup