Indian sportspersons stranded in Sweden returning homeJune 30th, 2012 - 2:35 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, June 30 (IANS) Ninety-two veteran Indian sportspersons stranded in Sweden are returning home after the Indian embassy came to their rescue and asked their travel agency to arrange for their return journey.
The contingent, including 58 sportspersons from Andhra Pradesh, Saturday left Stockholm for Milan, Italy, for their return journey to India. They are expected to reach India July 4.
The Indian embassy intervened in the matter when the group got stranded in Stockholm as the hotel they were staying in asked them to check out Friday after their travel agent failed to make payment.
According to information reaching here, the sportspersons agreed to make an additional payment of 300 euro each to the travel agency for arranging their homeward journey.
The contingent had left India June 24 to participate in a table tennis championship.
A sub-agent who had made the group’s booking failed to make full payment, leaving them in the lurch.
Every member of the contingent had paid Rs.125,000 to the sub-agent for the journey, accommodation and food.
The contingent members are from Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat, Maharashtra and Manipur.
- 125,000 pilgrims to be covered under Haj subsidy - Jul 20, 2012
- 800 Pakistani pilgrims duped in travel scam, stranded in Saudi Arabia - Jul 04, 2009
- Kashmir Haj pilgrims duped by travel agency - Oct 31, 2011
- India trying to bring back 28 Indians 'duped' by travel agents - Aug 10, 2011
- Stranded Indian nationals in Kyrgyzstan safely evacuated - Jun 15, 2010
- Punjabi youth returns home from Turkey jail - Aug 09, 2010
- India issues advisory to workers headed to Iraq - Aug 12, 2011
- Andhra seeks safe return of workers from Angola - May 15, 2012
- India says it is acting to resolve its workers' crisis in Angola - May 16, 2012
- Spain to begin troop withdrawals from Afghanistan in 2012 - Jun 24, 2011
- Libya unrest: 68 Indians land in Mumbai, 3,000 more on the way - Feb 28, 2011
- Libya unrest: 68 Indians land in Mumbai, 3,000 more on the way (Intro Night Lead) - Mar 01, 2011
- India to evacuate nationals from Libya via air, sea, land (Intro Roundup) - Feb 26, 2011
- Many Punjab women entering Greece illegally, say gurdwaras - Nov 20, 2010
- Padukone, Kumble, Dravid among stars to welcome Queen's Baton Relay to Bangalore - Aug 31, 2010
Tags: accommodation, andhra pradesh, contingent, gujarat, indian embassy, journey to india, july 4, june 24, lurch, maharashtra, manipur, milan italy, return journey, returning home, stockholm, sweden, table tennis, tennis championship, travel agency, travel agent