Indian spinners snap up three wickets after lunch (Tea report)October 9th, 2010 - 5:53 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, Oct 9 (IANS) Indian spinners Harbhajan Singh and Pragyan Ojha snapped up three Australian wickets to restrict the visitors to 189/3 in the post-lunch session on day one of the second cricket Test here Saturday.
At tea, skipper Ricky Ponting (49 batting) and middle order batsman Michael Hussey (34 batting) were in the middle at the M. Chinnaswamy Stadium.
Singh evicted opener Simon Katich (43, 7×4)) in the opening over of the session with Rahul Dravid taking a fine catch in the first slip after the Australians put on 99 runs for their first wicket after electing to bat.
Katich’s opening partner Shane Watson (57, 9×4) followed soon, with wicketkeeper M.S. Dhoni taking a sharp catch off the batsman’s gloves after Ojha induced an edge with a turning ball.
Michael Clarke (14) also did not last long and failed to negotiate a flighted stuff from Singh to finish in the hands of Suresh Raina at backward short leg. Australia were then 132/3.
Ponting (49) and Hussey, however, steadied the ship by stitiching together an unfinished 52-run fourth-wicket stand.
Gujarat youngster Cheteshwar Pujara made Test debut when he was included in the 11-member India team in place of Mohali hero V.V.S. Laxman, who has been down with back spasm.
In the Australian line-up, Peter George was taken in place of seamer Doug Bollinger.
- India restrict Australia to 285/5 in Bangalore Test (Lead) - Oct 09, 2010
- Pujara makes Test debut, replaces injured Laxman - Oct 09, 2010
- Ishant Sharma inspires India fight back in Mohali Test - Oct 04, 2010
- Chasing 216 for win, India 55 for 4 in Mohali test - Oct 04, 2010
- Bangalore Test: Bhajji claims two crucial wickets to restrict Oz to 288/5 - Oct 09, 2010
- India hopes to win Bangalore Test and nail series - Oct 08, 2010
- First Test evenly poised as 15 wickets fall on third day (Roundup) - Dec 28, 2011
- Australia convincingly win MCG Test (Second Lead) - Dec 29, 2011
- India let Australia off the hook (Roundup) - Dec 26, 2011
- India bounce back in Mohali Test after early lapses - Oct 01, 2010
- England bowlers decimate Australia on day one of Adelaide Ashes Test - Dec 03, 2010
- Yadav's maiden fifer gives India something to cheer (Second Lead) - Jan 14, 2012
- Mohali test: India bundle out Australia for 192, need 216 for win - Oct 04, 2010
- Ashwin strikes to remove West Indies openers (Tea Report) - Nov 22, 2011
- India staring at third big defeat in Australia (Roundup) - Jan 14, 2012
Tags: back spasm, bollinger, cricket test, dravid, harbhajan singh, india team, lunch session, michael clarke, michael hussey, ojha, pragyan, raina, seamer, shane watson, short leg, tea report, test debut, v v s laxman, wicket, wickets