Indian polo team beat British Army, win Saragarhi Challenge CupDecember 3rd, 2011 - 10:41 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 3 (IANS) Watched by an enthusiastic crowd at the Jaipur polo grounds here, the Indian polo team defeated the British Army 7-3 to win the annual Saragarhi Challenge Cup Saturday.
Indian skipper Col. Navjit Singh Sandhu scored three goals while Angad Singh and Jai Shergill pitched in with two each. The Indian team, called Sherdils, comprises only sikh players.
For the British Army, Captain Ben Vestey scored two goals.
The one-off match instituted by the Anglo Sikh Heritage Trail is in its second edition. It is held to commemorate the valour of the 21 Sikhs who lost their lives fighting bravely at the outpost of Saragarhi, now in Pakistan, in 1897.
The delay and defence by the Sikh regiment at the Saragarhi outpost saved communication links and paved the way for the British empire to extend its influence to this area. UNESCO recognise this battle amongst eight famous battles in history.
Minister of state for External Affairs Preneet Kaur was the chief guest at the event.
- It is an honour to be in India: Polo legend Gracida - Dec 18, 2011
- Calcutta Polo Club celebrates 150th year by winning Ezra World Cup - Dec 25, 2011
- Indian polo team leaves for World Cup - Sep 28, 2011
- Gurudwara Saragarhi memorial, a tribute to the gallantry of 21 Sikh soldiers - Sep 28, 2008
- Chikka, Honey on course, English players out in All-India Amateur - Jan 19, 2012
- India remembers hero of 1947 Pakistan war - Jul 15, 2012
- Dhoni, Bindra join elite group as honorary Lt. Colonels - Nov 01, 2011
- Indian soldiers and 188.8.131.52 connection in Belgium - Nov 13, 2011
- President's standards for five tank regiments - Nov 21, 2011
- Cavalry Jindal lifts fifth Amity Polo Cup in thrilling finale - Feb 13, 2011
- President presents standards to five tank regiments - Nov 27, 2011
- Courage, war & Allah on bookshelf (IANS Books this Week) - Jun 09, 2012
- Indian Army's armoured regiment honoured - Oct 01, 2011
- Indian soldiers' sacrifices in liberating Haifa remembered - Sep 24, 2010
- Indian Army team wins gold at World patrol meet - Nov 07, 2011
Tags: angad, army captain, british army, british empire, challenge cup, chief guest, enthusiastic crowd, external affairs, famous battles, heritage trail, indian skipper, jaipur polo, polo grounds, polo team, sikh heritage, sikh regiment, sikhs, singh sandhu, valour, vestey