Indian Open golf moves to BangaloreAugust 21st, 2012 - 4:11 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, August 21 (IANS) The Hero Indian Open will be held at the Karnataka Golf Association (KGA) course in Bangalore for the first time in the tournament’s 48-year history.
The Indian Golf Union (IGU), Nimbus Sport and Asian Tour Tuesday announced that the 49th edition of the event will be staged Oct 18-21 with a prize purse of $1.25 million.
India’s National Open, in almost five decades, was so far held in New Delhi and Kolkata. With the event now moving to Bangalore, more fans from across the country will be able to watch top quality golf.
IGU president Manjit Singh said: “The Indian Open has been the pride of Indian golf for 48 years on the trot. Starting from 1964, the IGU has ensured that the tournament is conducted in all its glory.
“The IGU Council had proposed that the Open should go to different venues around the country. We are delighted that all stakeholders, especially the title sponsor, Hero Moto Corp Ltd and the promoter supported this cause.”
Since its inauguration in 1964, the Indian Open has discovered many of the country’s finest talents including the likes of Arjun Atwal, Jeev Milkha Singh, Jyoti Randhawa, Shiv Kapur and Gaganjeet Bhullar.
The Indian Open has also attracted a stellar field of international players in the past like Edoardo Molinari, David Gleeson, Paul McGinley, Rikard Karlberg, Daniel Chopra, Mark Brown and Darren Beck.
- Italy's Ryder Cup star Molinari top draw at Indian Open - Sep 21, 2011
- Himmat Rai ready for the big test at Hero Indian Open - Oct 04, 2011
- Molinari seeks debut win at Hero India Open golf - Oct 12, 2011
- Karlberg aiming to defend Hero Indian Open crown - Oct 05, 2011
- Muniyappa ready for title defence at Hero Honda Indian Open - Nov 26, 2010
- Chowrasia aiming for Indian Open, Merit crown - Oct 07, 2011
- Indian Open Golf is back on Asian tour schedule - Jun 17, 2011
- Karlberg eyes unique hat-trick at SAIL Open - Mar 07, 2011
- Strong Indian challenge at Asia-Pacific Panasonic golf - Sep 21, 2010
- Top juniors for IGU golf - May 25, 2012
- Indians start as strong challengers in Avantha Masters - Feb 17, 2011
- Hero Indian Open: Unheralded Chiragh Kumar takes surprising lead - Oct 13, 2011
- Lahiri leads pack at SAIL-SBI Open golf - Feb 23, 2012
- Jaini, Bhullar, Das chase Siddikur at Panasonic Open - Mar 30, 2012
- Abhishek Kuhar, Manu share lead in USHA-IGU juniors events - Apr 10, 2012
Tags: arjun atwal, asian tour, bhullar, corp ltd, daniel chopra, david gleeson, edoardo molinari, golf union, jeev milkha singh, jyoti randhawa, karlberg, kga, manjit singh, open golf, paul mcginley, prize purse, quality golf, rikard, shiv kapur, stellar field