Indian men win bronze at junior Asia Cup hockeyMay 13th, 2012 - 8:02 pm ICT by IANS
Malacca (Malaysia), May 13 (IANS) India beat South Korea 2-1 courtesy a golden goal to win a bronze medal in the seventh Junior Men’s Asia Cup Hockey at MBM Stadium here Sunday.
Tied 1-1 at the end of the final hooter, Indian skipper Akashdeep Singh scored the golden goal to give the Indian team the medal.
India and South Korea both played a defensive game, but Korea took the lead thanks to You Seungji in the 47th minute through a penalty corner. In an attempt to level the score, India started pressing and made some good penetrations into the circle and seven minutes later Lokesh Thimmana scored the leveller.
It was Lokesh again who showed a clean pair of heels to the defenders in taking the ball into the circle in the second session of extra time to set up his captain.
Indian defence and midfield was compact with vice-Captain Amit Rohidas, Sukhmanjit Singh, Pardeep More and Harjeet Singh all putting in a good performance.
- Akashdeep to lead India in Junior Asia Cup hockey - Apr 11, 2012
- Junior Asia Cup: India play 2-2 draw with Pakistan - May 06, 2012
- India thrash Sri Lanka 11-0 in Junior Asia Cup - May 04, 2012
- India in semis of junior men's Asia Cup hockey - May 07, 2012
- Junior Hockey: Punjab, Haryana, Odisha, SAI Bhopal in semis - Sep 07, 2012
- Junior Asia Cup: India beaten by Malaysia in semis - May 10, 2012
- India eves in final of junior Asia Cup - Jul 06, 2012
- India face Sri Lanka in junior hockey Asia Cup - May 03, 2012
- Junior Hockey: Punjab launch campaign in style - Sep 05, 2012
- Indian women settle for bronze in hockey - Apr 16, 2012
- Gurjinder to lead India juniors in Sultan Johor Cup - Oct 18, 2011
- Indian women miss bronze in four-nation meet (Lead, With corrections) - Apr 16, 2012
- Hockey India announces stipend for junior players - Jul 13, 2012
- Big win for Indian Oil - Sep 09, 2012
- Maharashtra knocked out, Punjab thrash Bihar in junior hockey nationals - Dec 19, 2011
Tags: amit, asia cup hockey, bronze medal, clean pair, defensive game, extra time, golden goal, harjeet singh, India, indian defence, indian men, indian skipper, junior men, leveller, pardeep, penetrations, score, second session, south korea, vice captain