Indian men 3rd, women 6th in archery World Cup qualifiersAugust 6th, 2010 - 12:07 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Aug 5 (IANS) The Indian men’s team finished third in the qualifying round of the archery World Cup Stage III at Ogden, US, while the women finished sixth, according to information received here.
The Indian team, comprising Tarundeep Rai, Mangal Singh Champia and Kapil, logged 1,982 points Wednesday.
The Indian women - Dola Banerjee, L. Bombayla Devi and Deepika Kumari - ended sixth with 1,915 points.
After two rounds of 36 arrows for a total of 72 over 70m distance, Korea dominated the proceedings, occupying the top spots in both men’s and women’s categories.
Individually, Rai stood tenth with 664 points followed by Mangal Singh (662) at 14th, Kapil (656) at 20th and rookie Karam Shiva Shankar (648) at 35th.
The best three individual scores count to make team’s total.
In women’s contest, Dola was the best Indian with a total of 653 points which earned her eighth rank. Deepika followed at 20th with 641 and Bombayla was a disappointing 40th with 621. Punya Prabha was worst coming in at 54th with 610 points.
The Indian men team had won the gold medal at the Stage II meet at Antalya in June beating the US. This time, however, the presence of world champion Korea has changed the power equation.
By virtue of finishing third, Indian men have managed to be in the bottom half with the host thus avoiding meeting the all-conquering Koreans in the semi-finals - provided the team, missing two crack archers Jayanta Talukdar and Rahul Banerjee due to selection woes, progresses that far.
- Early exit for Indians in archery World Cup - Aug 06, 2010
- Rahul, Mangal in Indian archery team for Asian Grand Prix - Feb 09, 2012
- Olympics: Deepika's show only silver lining for Indian archery (Second Lead) - Jul 27, 2012
- Asian Games archery: Deepika loses bronze play-off (Roundup) - Nov 23, 2010
- World Cup Stage I archery: Indians put up a modest show - May 04, 2011
- Archery World Cup Stage II: Deepika Kumari lifts Indian team to 2nd place - Jun 08, 2011
- Archery: Indian men a big let down on opening day (Lead) - Jul 27, 2012
- India's men archers qualify for London Olympics - Jun 22, 2012
- Eight-member Indian recurve archery squad for World Cup - May 17, 2010
- Deepika second Indian woman archer to reach World Cup final - Sep 02, 2010
- Indian archery team for South Asian Games announced - Jan 26, 2010
- World Cup archery: Indian recurve team in final - May 04, 2012
- Olympics: India's archers primed for glory (Preview) - Jul 26, 2012
- Indian men's recurve team in World Cup archery final - Jun 09, 2010
- World Cup archery: Indian women in bronze medal play-off - Jun 10, 2011
Tags: 915 points, antalya, archery world, deepika, gold medal, indian men, indian women, kapil, kolkata, koreans, kumari, men team, prabha, rahul, semi finals, stage iii, talukdar, woes, world champion, world cup qualifiers