Indian lifters fail in 62-kg categoryOctober 5th, 2010 - 9:42 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 5 (IANS) Indian lifters Rustam Sarang and Omkar Shekhar Otari Tuesday failed to figure in the top three in the men’s weightlifting 62kg category despite tremendous support from the home crowd. Sarang finished fourth and Otari fifth.
Sarang lifted a total of 271kg (snatch 121, clean and jerk 150 kg) and missed a medal by one-kg. Though he lifted 153 kg in his last attempt, the judges were not satisfied with it.
Visibly dejected Sarang told IANS: “I had given my 100 percent but do not know why the judges were not convinced with my 153-kg lift. I accept this and will continue working hard in the coming days.”
Otari lifted a total of 265kg — 125kg in snatch and 140kg in clean and jerk.
Indian men and women lifters had won four medals (two silver, two bronze) Monday, the first day of competitions in the Delhi Games.
It was a double delight for Malaysia in the 62 kg category as both gold and silver went to its lifters.
The gold was bagged by 20-year-old Aricco Jumitih with a total lift of 276kg, (120kg snatch and 156kg clean and jerk). The silver went to Naharudin Mahayudin (26). He lifted a total of 275kg (125kg snatch and 150kg clean and jerk).
Sri Lankan Sudesh Anton Kurukulasooriyage (25) won the bronze for a total lift of 272kg (snatch 120kg, clean and jerk 152kg).
- Indian men lifters fail in 62kg category, women in 53kg - Oct 06, 2010
- Olympics: North Korean weight-lifter breaks world record - Jul 31, 2012
- Olympic weightlifting: Polish underdog bags gold - Aug 04, 2012
- CWG Medals Results, Day 2 - Oct 06, 2010
- Iran Asian weightlifting champions - May 01, 2012
- China's Li lifts Olympic gold in 58 kg, breaks record - Jul 31, 2012
- Asian Games weightlifting : Dismal show by Rustam, Otari in 62kg - Nov 14, 2010
- CWG weightlifting: Silver for Sukhen, Srinivasa gets bronze - Oct 04, 2010
- Lifters Soniya, Sandhya win India's first medals in CWG 2010 - Oct 04, 2010
- Maneza clinches Kazakhstan's 2nd weightlifting gold - Aug 01, 2012
- CWG weightlifting: Dey and Rao add a silver and bronze to the kitty (RoundUp) - Oct 04, 2010
- Olympic weightlifting: China's Lin Qinfeng lifts 69-kg gold - Aug 01, 2012
- Olympics: Zielinski lifts Poland's first gold - Aug 04, 2012
- Asian Games weightlifting: Medal hope Ravi Kumar finishes fifth - Nov 15, 2010
- Indian lifters sure of winning 'dope-free' medals at CWG (Weightlifting preview) - Oct 03, 2010
Tags: 100 percent, competitions, double delight, games, gold and silver, home crowd, indian lifters, indian men, kg, last attempt, medals, men and women, New Delhi, oct 5, omkar, otari, sarang, shekhar, sri lankan, sudesh