Indian hockey’s worst performance ever: Olympic gold medallistsAugust 10th, 2012 - 11:07 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Aug 10 (IANS) “The worst ever performance” is how former Olympic gold medallists described the Indian hockey team’s disastrous campaign at the London Games.
“This is surely the worst ever performance. They have been outplayed in every department. The team never looked like they are playing at the Olympics,” Olympian Zafar Iqbal told IANS.
Iqbal, a member of the hockey team that won the last Olympic gold medal for India in 1980 at the Moscow Games, in a scathing attack called the team “mediocre” and said the country has stopped producing talented players.
“After losing all their league matches they are staring at the worst-ever finish. I have no complaints either against the selectors or the coach. It seems the country has stopped producing quality players,” said the former chief national coach.
Losing all their group matches, India play South Africa Saturday in the playoff to decide the last two spots.
Vasudevan Baskaran, who captained the 1980 gold medallist team, said the present team lacked camaraderie and players failed to pick themselves up.
“The team looked off-colour from the very first match. There was lack of camaraderie and failed to play according to the plan, if they had one,” said Baskaran.
The former national coach, before the start of the Games, had hoped for a sterling performance from medio Sardara Singh and drag flicker Sandeep Singh.
“I have no words to describe their performance. There was no rhythm between the players either in the mid-field or while taking penalty corners. I am pained to say but this surely it is the worst ever performance.”
“I had hoped that they will bounce back after the first loss, but with every match their performance plummeted. They badly failed to pick themselves up and fight back,” added Baskaran.
- Play Indian-style attacking hockey: Vasudevan Baskaran (Interview) - Jul 23, 2012
- Nobbs' fears about World Series Hockey unfounded: Baskaran - Nov 10, 2011
- 1980 Olympics: India win gold as top teams stay out - Jul 17, 2012
- Olympians with Haryana connection earn millions - Aug 12, 2012
- Hockey will be the best at CWG: Baskaran - Sep 28, 2010
- 1976 Olympics: India's worst show in hockey (Sports Special) - Jul 16, 2012
- Never blamed Nobbs for London debacle: Shivendra - Aug 24, 2012
- Olympics: Hopes pinned on boxers Mary Kom, Devendro (Overall India Roundup) - Aug 08, 2012
- 1948 hockey trio backs India to do well in London - Jun 24, 2012
- Olympic Hockey: Tough opener for India (Preview) - Jul 29, 2012
- Hockey Olympic gold medallists to get cash awards - Jun 15, 2012
- Padma Shri is a recognition for Indian hockey: Zafar - Jan 25, 2012
- Olympics: Triple jumpers fail, hockey team's pathetic show continues (India roundup) - Aug 08, 2012
- Nobbs: Selection on form and fitness - Mar 12, 2012
- Karan stars in Bhopal Badshahs win in WSH - Mar 05, 2012
Tags: baskaran, camaraderie, disastrous campaign, flicker, gold medallist, hockey team, indian hockey, london games, mid field, moscow games, national coach, olympic gold medal, olympic gold medallists, penalty corners, quality players, scathing attack, selectors, sterling performance, talented players, zafar iqbal