Indian hockey team rout Belgium 6-0July 17th, 2010 - 8:39 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 17 (IANS) India routed Belgium 6-0 in their third and final hockey Test at Wellington in Brussels Friday. India thus completed a 2-0 series win having drawn their opening match.
India, who led 2-0 at half time, scored through Sandeep Singh (18th minute), Danish Mujtaba (29th), Dhananjay Mahadik (44th), Tushar Khandker (45th), Sarvanjit Singh (63rd) and Sandeep Singh (70th), according to a Hockey India release here Saturday.
India played fast and attacking hockey with one touch passes and swift ball rotation, making their intentions clear when captain Rajpal Singh dashed down the right flank to set up Mujtaba, whose diving deflection went inches wide.
Two Belgium attacks went in vain as Indian goalkeeper Bharat Chetri warded off attacks from John Verdussen and Renaud Pangrazio.
India earned their first of the three penalty corners but Sandeep Singh’s flick hit a defender’s leg and was re-awarded. Sandeep was on target the second time and gave India the lead in the 18th minute.
Belgium almost got the equaliser in the 22nd minute, following a penalty corner awarded due to a wrong tackle by Mahadik but Jerome Truyens attempt was saved on the ball line by Probodh Tirkey.
India consolidated their lead in the 29th minute with a fast counter-attack engineered by Gurbaj Singh and Ravi Pal with Mujtaba giving the finishing touch with a diving effort.
Belgium earned eight penalty corners but all of them were thwarted by goalkeeper Chetri and an alert Indian defence.
Mahadik scored India’s third goal in the 44th minute from a penalty corner after Vincent Van Asch was penalized in the striking circle.
Tushar Khandker added another goal to India’s tally after Rajpal Singh and Dharamvir Singh set the ball with a speedy move.
This was followed by an onslaught by the Indian forwards from the right flank. Midfielder Ajitesh Roy and Mandip Antil set up Sarvanjit Singh, who beat Belgium goalkeeper Gucassoff.
India were awarded a penalty stroke in the last minute after Rajpal was brought down by Cederic Charlier in an attempt to take a deflection at goal. Sandeep confidently pushed home to give India a well deserved 6-0 victory.
India now travel to Paris where they will play three Tests against France.
- India scrape past France 4-3 in first hockey Test - Jul 19, 2010
- India lose to Britain in tri-nation hockey - Jul 15, 2012
- India, Spain share six goals in first Test - Jul 06, 2012
- Chetri to lead hockey team in Champions Challenge - Nov 18, 2011
- Indian hockey squad for Commonwealth Games announced - Aug 30, 2010
- Azlan Shah: India beat Malaysia to keep alive hopes - May 28, 2012
- Ace forward Rajpal axed from hockey squad for Olympic qualifiers - Jan 30, 2012
- India beat South Africa 4-2 to enter Champions Challenge final - Dec 03, 2011
- India's men's and women's hockey teams chasing Olympic dream - Feb 17, 2012
- Rajpal retained among 32 hockey probables for Olympic qualifiers - Jan 23, 2012
- India drub France 6-0 in second hockey Test, clinch series - Jul 20, 2010
- Chettri to lead Indian hockey team in London - Apr 10, 2012
- Sandeep, Sardar recalled in national team for Australia tour - Sep 29, 2011
- Tough challenge for India in men's hockey - Sep 09, 2010
- Indian hockey team to play in Hamburg Masters - Jun 16, 2010
Tags: bharat, deflection, equaliser, finishing touch, flank, goalkeeper, hockey team, indian defence, indian hockey, mandip, mujtaba, penalty corners, rajpal, rout, sandeep singh, striking circle, target, tirkey, van asch, vincent van