Indian hockey team lose both matches to Australian development squad (Lead)February 18th, 2009 - 8:33 pm ICT by IANS
Brisbane, Feb 18 (IANS) The Indian hockey team suffered their second straight defeat at the hands of the Australian Development squad when they were beaten 2-5 at the State Hockey Centre here Wednesday.
The Aussies scored through Hotchkis Daniel (14th), Geoffrey Cock (18th), Liam de Young (21st), Jason Wilson (53rd) and Mark Patterson (61st min).
Shivendra Singh (10th) and Sandeep Singh (46th min) found the mark for India.
The Australian Development squad is coached by Ric Charlesworth, who had a bitter relationship with the Indian hockey team as its consultant.
India won their first two matches against Australian state teams. They lost 3-5 to the Australian Development squad Tuesday, before going down 2-5 Wednesday.
India’s coach in-charge Harendra Singh was disappointed with the team’s overall performance and said the defence needed to be bolstered.
India trailed 1-3 at half time.
India shot into the lead when Shivendra deflected home from Sandeep Singh’s shot past goalkeeper George Bazeley.
Australia equalised four minutes later in identical fashion as Daniel put it past Baljit Singh after being set up by medio Jonathan Charlesworth.
Cock got the lead for the hosts after a goalmouth skirmish. The Aussies further consolidated their position when captain Liam de Young struck to put them 3-1 up.
After the break, Sandeep Singh reduced the margin from a penalty corner conversion.
However Australia came back strongly as they scored twice with Wilson and Patterson shooting past substitute custodian Adrian D’Souza.
India will fly to New Zealand Thursday where they will play a four Test series against the Kiwis at Wellington and Auckland starting Saturday.
- India go down to Australian Development squad in hockey - Feb 18, 2009
- Dwyer to lead Australian men's hockey team in Olympics - Jun 18, 2012
- CWG men's hockey: Oz thrash India 5-2 - Oct 07, 2010
- CWG hockey: India need to tighten defence in final against Australia - Oct 13, 2010
- CWG hockey: India lost the plot early in the game - Oct 07, 2010
- Australia announce squad for hockey World Cup - Feb 08, 2010
- India are better than what scores might suggest, says Charlesworth - Oct 14, 2010
- India's men's and women's hockey teams chasing Olympic dream - Feb 17, 2012
- Chetri to lead hockey team in Champions Challenge - Nov 18, 2011
- PNB XI to clash with ONGC in Nehru hockey final - Nov 24, 2011
- Chettri to lead India in Sultan Azlan Shah Cup - Apr 12, 2012
- Chettri to lead Indian hockey team in London - Apr 10, 2012
- Azlan Shah: India beat Malaysia to keep alive hopes - May 28, 2012
- India beat South Africa 4-2 to enter Champions Challenge final - Dec 03, 2011
- Hapless India thrashed by New Zealand in Azlan Shah opener - May 24, 2012
Tags: 53rd, auckland, aussies, charlesworth, four minutes, hockey team, hotchkis, indian hockey, jason wilson, kiwis, liam, mark patterson, sandeep singh, skirmish, souza, state hockey centre, straight defeat, substitute custodian, test series, time india