Indian hockey team lose a golden chance in Punjab Gold CupFebruary 9th, 2009 - 10:54 pm ICT by ANI
Chandigarh, Feb.9, (ANI): Indian Hockey team lost a golden opportunity on Monday by losing to Netherland during the final match of the Punjab Gold Cup hockey tournament here.
India lost the match 1-2 to the Netherland, who had outplayed Olympic Champion Germany 7-1 in the last league match on Saturday.
Both the teams were goalless at the end of first half. But, in the 44th minute, Sandeep Singh sounded the board with a sharp low shot on the right of Dutch goalkeeper to put India ahead.
The Dutch team, however, soon came from behind and levelled the score.
But it was the Netherlands team scored the winning goal to clinch the title in the decisive minutes of the match.
Earlier, India and Netherlands both failed to convert their first penalty into goals but Hertzberger scored his second goal of the match through penalty corner.
Incidentally, India have not won a match against Netherlands for last 13 years. Its last win came in January 1996 in the Olympic qualifiers.
India had drawn both their matches in the tournament against the Netherlands (4-4 in the first and then a 2-2 draw in the second leg of the tournament). (ANI)
- Olympics hockey: India go down 2-3 to the Netherlands - Jul 30, 2012
- Champions Trophy: Spain to meet Australia in final - Dec 10, 2011
- Champions Trophy: Australia beat Pakistan 6-1, NZ hold Netherlands 3-3 - Dec 06, 2011
- Hockey World Cup: Germany strikes form, Dutch unstoppable (Roundup) - Mar 04, 2010
- Men's hockey Olympic qualifier: Italy blank Singapore - Feb 24, 2012
- Azlan Shah Cup: Argentina end India's title hopes - May 30, 2012
- India beaten 1-2 by Spain in tri-nation meet - Jul 19, 2012
- Champions Challenge hockey: India concede last-minute goal to lose (Lead) - Dec 05, 2011
- Netherlands beat India 2-1 to lift Punjab Gold Cup (Roundup) - Feb 09, 2009
- India draw with Australia in U-21 women's hockey - Nov 09, 2011
- Olympic hockey: Netherlands beat Argentina to defend women's title - Aug 11, 2012
- Olympic hockey: India lose to SA, finish 12th - Aug 11, 2012
- Hockey Olympic qualifer: Indian women go down 2-5 to South Africa - Feb 22, 2012
- Women's hockey Olympic qualifier: Ukraine beat Canada 5-2 - Feb 21, 2012
- Hockey Olympic qualifier: Indian men close to reaching final; women in tight spot (Roundup) - Feb 23, 2012
Tags: 13 years, cup hockey, dutch team, final match, germany, goalkeeper, gold cup, golden chance, golden opportunity, hockey team, hockey tournament, India, indian hockey, netherlands, olympic champion, olympic qualifiers, score