Indian hockey squad named for Punjab Gold CupJanuary 29th, 2009 - 10:53 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Jan 29 (IANS) Selectors Thursday announced an 18-member Indian hockey team for the inaugural four-nation Punjab Gold Cup tournament to be played here from Saturday.The team, led by drag-flicker Sandeep Singh, will include Arjun Halappa and Ignace Tirkey. Midfielder Sardar Singh, who was also on the injury list with both these players, has not been included due to a hand injury.
The team was announced at the Sector 42 hockey stadium by selection committee chairman Ajit Pal Singh. Other selectors, Zafar Iqbal, Ashok Kumar and Dhanraj Pillay and coach in-charge Harendra Singh, were also present.
Besides India, Olympics champion Germany, European champion Holland and New Zealand are also participating in the tournament. The 10-day event is organised by the Punjab government.
All teams have arrived here for the tournament.
Goalkeepers: Baljit Singh, Adrian D’Souza.
Fullbacks: Dalip Tirky, Sandeep Singh, Raghu Nath.
Midfielders: Gurbaj Singh, VS Vinay, Vikram Pillay, Prabhod Tirkey, Ignace Tirkey.
Forwards: Deepak Thakur, Prabhjot Singh, Shivedra Singh, Rajpal Singh, Arjun Halappa, Tushar Khandekar, S.V. Sunil, Bharat Chhikara.
Stand-bye: Bharat Chetri, Ajitesh Roy, Sadar Singh, Sarwanjit Singh, Hari Prashad, Ravi Paul.
Officials: Harindra Singh (coach incharge), Ramandeep Singh (coach), Romeo James (coach), Mithai M.V. (trainer), Shrikant (physio) and Ashok Kumar (technical manager).
- 48 probables selected for national hockey camp - Jul 16, 2011
- Rajpal retained among 32 hockey probables for Olympic qualifiers - Jan 23, 2012
- Ace forward Rajpal axed from hockey squad for Olympic qualifiers - Jan 30, 2012
- Sandeep, Sardar recalled in national team for Australia tour - Sep 29, 2011
- Rajpal, Halappa left out from Olympics hockey probables - Feb 27, 2012
- Indian hockey squad for Commonwealth Games announced - Aug 30, 2010
- Sandeep to lead 18-man squad in Asia Cup hockey - Apr 25, 2009
- 2004 Olympics: Deja vu hits Indian hockey (Sports Special) - Jul 23, 2012
- Rajpal, Surinder Kaur to lead hockey teams in Guangzhou - Nov 03, 2010
- Hockey team to have no designated captain for Canada tour - Sep 30, 2009
- Indian hockey team to play in Hamburg Masters - Jun 16, 2010
- Asian Champions Trophy: Rajpal to lead men's team, Anjum women's - Aug 16, 2011
- Chettri to lead Indian hockey team in London - Apr 10, 2012
- HI announces squad for Sultan Azlan Shah - Apr 19, 2011
- Adrian, Sandeep, Diwakar dropped for Azlan Shah hockey - Apr 24, 2010
Tags: arjun, ashok kumar, baljit singh, champion holland, dhanraj pillay, european champion, fullbacks, hockey squad, hockey stadium, incharge, indian hockey, mithai, prabhjot singh, punjab government, raghu, rajpal, ramandeep singh, sardar singh, selection committee chairman, tirkey