Indian Grand Prix could be pushed to DecemberMay 21st, 2011 - 2:10 pm ICT by IANS
London, May 21 (IANS) Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone is planning to move the inaugural Indian Grand Prix to the end of the season to make room for the Bahrain race, which was set to be the season opener but was cancelled following civil unrest in the Gulf state.
The BBC reported that Ecclestone is planning to shift the Indian GP slated for Oct 30 to Dec 4, a week after the final race in Brazil and host Bahrain Oct 30.
The shifting of the race will also give Indian authorities some more time to put the house in order after local farmers clashed with police officials around the Budh Circuit, in Greater Noida, over land allocations. The farmers waged a fight, that claimed four lives, alleging that the local government grabbed their land at lesser price that benefitted the builders.
Ecclestone said he was looking at it.
“We are having a look at it. Everything is possible. I’m not sure at the moment what I’m going to do. Everything’s up in the air. I haven’t decided. We’ll see if we have to go to Bahrain,” said Ecclestone.
F1’s governing body the FIA is to rule on whether Bahrain should return to the calendar on 3 June.
Bahrain recently announced that it would lift the martial law that is currently imposed June 1.
At least 30 people have died since Bahrain’s Shia majority took to the streets in February in protest.
- Wanted a race in Bahrain as they have helped F1: Ecclestone - Jun 11, 2011
- Ecclestone asks F1 teams for re-vote on Bahrain GP - Jun 07, 2011
- Bahrain unlikely, Indian GP may get back October dates - Jun 08, 2011
- Bahrain GP organisers say F1 race on - Feb 20, 2012
- Bahrain Grand Prix deadline to be extended: Ecclestone - Apr 29, 2011
- FIA rates Buddh's medical facility best among new circuits - Oct 28, 2011
- Bahrain refuses to give up hope of rescheduling F1 grand prix - May 01, 2011
- No worries about safety at Indian GP: Ecclestone - Oct 24, 2011
- Force India team vehicle survives fire bomb in Manama - Apr 19, 2012
- Indian GP confirmed for Oct 2012, US round also included - Dec 08, 2011
- FIA asks Bahrain organisers to decide on Formula One grand prix by May 1 - Mar 09, 2011
- Bahrain Grand Prix to be rescheduled for end of F1 season - Feb 21, 2011
- Reinstating Bahrain Grand Prix will cost F1: Mosley - Jun 05, 2011
- 'Managing logistics will be a humongous excercise in Indian GP' - Jun 02, 2011
- 'Managing logistics for Indian Grand Prix a major challenge' (Lead) - Jun 02, 2011
Tags: allocations, bbc, bernie ecclestone, boss, civil unrest, f1, farmers, fia, formula one, governing body, gp, grand prix, greater noida, indian authorities, local government, martial law, oct 30, police officials, season opener, shia