Indian girls enter semis of u-18 Asia CupSeptember 20th, 2011 - 6:42 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 20 (IANS) India outclassed China 4-2 Tuesday to advance into the semifinals of the girls U-18 Asia Cup in Bangkok, Thailand.
The goal scorers for India, who led 2-0 at half time, were Navjot Kaur (11th min), Lilima Minz (34th), Poonam Rani (49th) and Anupa Barla (66th).
The goal scorers for China were Song Xia Oming (60th min) and Liang Xue (63rd).
India dominated the proceedings and began with a flourish with accurate passes and interceptions.
The forwards lead by skipper Poonam Rani supported by Neha Goyal and Anupa Barla penetrated the Chinese striking circle at regular intervals.
Indian deep defenders Jaspreet Kaur and Sandeep Kaur stood like rocks as did goalkeeper Bigen Soy, who blocked many Chinese forays in the second half.
India earned five penalty corners against seven by China.
After India had established a 3-0 lead in the 49th minute, they tended to slacken and allowed China to fire back two goals.
However, they overcame this reversal to score another goal through Anupa Barla and seal the match.
India will now play their last pool match against Malaysia Thursday before playing the semifinal Friday.
In their earlier matches, India had routed Kazakhstan 12-0 and Sri Lanka 13-0.
With the victory over China, India are on the top of Pool B with nine points from three consecutive wins.
- India beat Malaysia 4-1 in u-18 Asia Cup - Sep 22, 2011
- U-18 girls Asia Cup: India thrash Sri Lanka 13-0 - Sep 17, 2011
- Poonam Rani to lead India's challenge in U-21 hockey - Nov 02, 2011
- Indian girls win bronze in U-18 Asia Cup hockey - Sep 25, 2011
- India eves in semis of Junior Asia Cup hockey - Jul 03, 2012
- India lose 1-2 to Germany in women's U-21 hockey - Nov 11, 2011
- India eves go down to China in Junior Asia Cup - Jul 02, 2012
- Indian eves thrash Singapore 9-0 in junior Asia Cup hockey - Jun 29, 2012
- Asian Champions Trophy: Rajpal to lead men's team, Anjum women's - Aug 16, 2011
- India beat Kiwis in U-21 women's hockey - Nov 08, 2011
- Lakra to lead women's hockey team in Olympic qualifiers - Jan 31, 2012
- Haryana to play Railways in women's national hockey final - Jan 29, 2011
- Lakra to lead Indian women's hockey team in Argentina - Nov 30, 2011
- Ritu to lead India in Champions Challenge 1 - Sep 10, 2012
- India eves in final of junior Asia Cup - Jul 06, 2012
Tags: asia cup, bangkok thailand, barla, flourish, forays, forwards, goal scorers, goyal, indian girls, intervals, match, neha, New Delhi, oming, penalty corners, poonam, sandeep kaur, skipper, striking circle, xia