Indian girls advance in world junior team squashJuly 27th, 2011 - 3:47 pm ICT by IANS
Boston, July 27 (IANS) India recorded two wins in the women’s World Junior Team squash championship at Harvard near here Tuesday, defeating France 3-0 and Hong Kong 2-1.
After the morning win over France, the scene was set for what was essentially the decisive match in Pool C against Hong Kong.
Hong Kong took the lead as Tze-Lok Ho beat Aparajitha Balamurukan 17-15 in the fourth in a thriller that had both teams on the edge of their seats and brought players from other courts over to watch at regular intervals.
Aparajitha got off to a slow start and never seemed to recover against Ho, who kept the pressure with her retrieving skills. The Indian played well in the third and had a very close fourth game but Ho edged out Aparajitha.
Indian nerves were settled when Asian Under-19 champion Anaka Alankamony put in an assured performance to demolish Asian Under-17 title holder Ka-Po Ho 11-0, 11-5, 11-3. Anaka was ruthless and won quite comfortably.
Saumya Karki completed the comeback for India, beating Ka-Yi Lee 12-10, 11-8, 11-6. She played some blistering drives and volleys. Saumya kept the tempo for the entire duration.
India next take on Ecuador and are assured of topping Pool C.
(3) India beat (11) France 3-0: Aparajitha Balamurukan bt Marie Stephan 9-11, 10-12, 11-8, 11-8, 11-7; Anaka Alankamony bt Melissa Alves 12-10, 12-10, 11-6; Saumya Karki bt Julia Lecoq 7-11, 11-5, 11-4, 9-11, 11-7.
(3) India beat (6) Hong Kong 2-1: Aparajitha Balamurukan lost to Tze-Lok Ho 3-11, 8-11, 11-8, 15-17; Anaka Alankamony bt Ka-Po Ho 11-0, 11-5, 11-3; Saumya Karki bt Ka-Yi Lee 12-10, 11-8, 11-6.
- Indian girls finish fourth in World junior squash - Jul 31, 2011
- Mahesh, Anaka in finals of Indian Open squash - Sep 09, 2011
- Aparajitha, Anaka advance in women's junior squash - Jul 21, 2011
- Hei survives a scare in Indian Open junior squash - Aug 30, 2012
- Ashita puts out second seed Akanksha in Indian Open squash - Sep 08, 2011
- World Junior Squash: Anaka, Mahesh in last eight - Jul 10, 2012
- Winning start by Indian teams at Asian Squash - May 02, 2012
- India go down fighting to US in squash championship - Jul 30, 2011
- Kush upsets Alsaraj for junior squash title - Sep 10, 2011
- Dixit, Anaka lead way into national squash semis - Oct 27, 2010
- Dipika, Joshna in last 8 - Apr 21, 2011
- National Squash championship: Malik ousts Jangra - Dec 08, 2011
- Indian excels in Asian junior squash - Jun 23, 2011
- Egypt too good for India in U-21 Squash World Cup - Feb 02, 2012
- Tandon shocks top seed Dixit for junior squash title - Oct 29, 2010