Indian football team leaves for SAFF Cup SaturdayMay 30th, 2008 - 11:52 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, May 30 (IANS) A 20-member Indian team led by Bhaichung Bhutia will leave Saturday for Maldives to compete in the South Asian Football Federation (SAFF) Cup tournament. Coach Bob Houghton has left out seasoned goalkeeper Sandip Nandy, who is injured. Subrata Paul and Subhashish Roy Chowdhary are the two goalkeepers in the squad.
Sushil Singh is the new striker in Houghton’s armoury besides the captain, Sunil Chettri, Manjit Singh and Abhishek Yadav.
The SAFF Cup is being jointly hosted by Maldives and Sri Lanka from June 3-14. Defending champions India will open their campaign against Nepal Tuesday and all their group matches are in Maldives.
Goalkeepers: Subrata Paul, Subhashish Roy Chowdhary.
Defenders: Mahesh Gawli, Gouramangi Singh, Deepak Mondal, N.S. Manju, Anwar, Sameer Naik.
Midfielders: Steven Dias, Climax Lawrence, N.P. Pradeep, Bungo Singh, Mehrajuddin Wadoo, Renedy Singh and Kattimani
Forwards: Baichung Bhutia, Sunil Chetri, Manjit Singh, Abhishek Yadav, Sushil Singh
Chief coach: Bob Houghton; Goalkeeping coach: Marcus Pacheco; Assistant coaches: Savio Medeira and Stanley Rozario; Manager: Pradeep Chowdhary
- Chettri doubtful, Bhaichung ruled out for Iraq tie - Nov 10, 2010
- Medeira officially appointed India coach, injured Paul dropped - Nov 02, 2011
- Chettri, Jeje to miss friendly against Zambia - Nov 28, 2011
- SAFF Cup: India sans Sameer Naik in must-win match against Bhutan - Dec 04, 2011
- Houghton expects Portugal camp to be productive - Jun 30, 2010
- Services striker Raleng not selected for national football camp - Jun 18, 2008
- No new face in national football camp - May 05, 2009
- Wadoo, Pereira strike as India beat Namibia 2-0 (Lead) - Sep 15, 2010
- Bhaichung to lead national football team in Asian Cup - Dec 27, 2010
- Armando drops Bhaichung along with 11 seniors from World Cup probables - Jun 02, 2011
- Injured Nandy, Manju left out of Portugal trip - Jul 01, 2008
- India's Barcelona work-out will be on test in Nehru Cup (Preview) - Aug 18, 2009
- India's Barcelona workout will be on test in Nehru Cup (Lead, Preview) - Aug 18, 2009
- Bhaichung, Renedy among 32 probables for Pakistan friendlies - Jul 20, 2011
- Four new faces in India squad for Bayern Munich game - Dec 28, 2011
Tags: abhishek, asian football federation, bhutia, bob houghton, bungo, chief coach, chowdhary, coach bob, goalkeepers, goalkeeping coach, indian football, manjit singh, manju, marcus pacheco, medeira, mondal, nandy, rozario, sandip, wadoo