Indian football team coach Houghton resignsApril 23rd, 2011 - 5:19 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Apr. 23 (ANI): Indian football team coach Bob Houghton resigned from his post on Saturday, two years before his contract with the All India Football Federation (AIFF) was to end.
Houghton, who was being paid 30, 000 dollars a month for his services, was facing a racial abuse charge from referee Dinesh Nair. Houghton has denied all charges levelled against him by the All India Football Federation (AIFF) and has termed the allegations of racial abuse as ‘baseless’ in a written submission made to a three-member committee.
Houghton has raised questions over the timing of the racial charges levelled against him, stressing that the incident took place six months ago and there was no mention of the incident till now. Apart from the racism allegation, the AIFF is also upset with India’s ‘poor performance’ under Houghton’s regime.
Sources within the federation said the officials were keen to leverage the racism charge to get rid of the South Africa-based Englishman with immediate effect.
Last month, the executive committee had decided to initiate the process to sack Houghton on charges of racial remarks against referee Dinesh Nair during India’s friendly against Yemen in Pune in October last year and ‘derogatory’ comments against Indian football. The Englishman was accused by Nair of calling him ‘b**** Indian referee’.
Summarily sacking him would also resulted in forking out a severance pay packet of over Rs 3.2 crore. (ANI)
- Houghton hires lawyer against AIFF, denies racist comments - Apr 11, 2011
- AIFF censures Chettri for praising Houghton - Apr 20, 2011
- Houghton's five-year tenure ends after AIFF drops all charges (Lead) - Apr 23, 2011
- India's football coach Houghton denies racism charges - Feb 26, 2011
- AIFF drops charges, Houghton resigns as chief football coach - Apr 23, 2011
- Houghton's alleged racial slur may kick up a 'storm' - Oct 23, 2010
- Bhutia says Houghton is not racist, blasts referee Nair - Oct 30, 2010
- AIFF comes down hard on Pradeep - May 06, 2011
- India's football friendly with South Africa postponed - Dec 05, 2011
- Insulted Houghton resigns, Patel asks him to stay on (Lead) - May 03, 2010
- Houghton quits as India's football coach - May 03, 2010
- AIFF upset with Houghton's remarks - Jan 14, 2011
- Luis Suarez charged by FA for racial abuse - Nov 17, 2011
- AIFF president in damage control mode after Houghton resigns - May 04, 2010
- AIFF has no choice but to renew Houghton's contract - May 06, 2010
Tags: aiff, allegation, bob houghton, coach bob, derogatory comments, englishman, executive committee, football federation, football team, indian football, member committee, nair, pay packet, poor performance, pune, racial abuse, racial remarks, referee, severance pay, team coach