Indian dancing duo set to make debut in Indoor Asian GamesNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:51 am ICT by admin
Preeti Gupta, a doctor, and Shannon Benjamin made it to the second Indoor Asian Games after clearing the selection rounds in countries like Singapore, Macon, Malaysia, Sri Lanka and Hong Kong.
“I guess they were interested in promoting dance as a sport. First of all, because no one really considers dance as a sport, it is just entertainment for people. They don’t understand that dance could also be a sport. So, that was a new thing and we were dedicated enough to go ahead,” said Preeti.
The dancing duo is training under Latin American dance choreographer Sandip Soparrkar, who is the first and only Indian choreographer internationally registered in the field of ball dance.
“The international Latin American board of dancers has a lot of rules to it right from costumes, steps to everything else. So, keeping that A, B, C, D steps, we need to kind of do some permutations and combinations and put them together for maximum creativity. That’s what I have tried to do,” said Soparrkar.
Bollywood superstar Amitabh Bachchan and his wife Jaya Bachchan have sponsored the entire trip. They are also bearing the expenses on training, costumes, travel, food and accommodation.
Designer Neeta Lulla has designed the costumes for the two, which they displayed at a conference in Mumbai before leaving for China.
Celebrities, including Amisha Patel and Rakhi Sawant, attended the function to boost the morale of the dancers. (ANI)
- Ethnic Indian 'Cheer Queens' replace cheer girls in IPL - Apr 17, 2011
- Esha Deol, Bharat Takhtani tie the knot - Jun 29, 2012
- Esha Deol, Bharat Takhtani tie the knot (Lead) - Jun 29, 2012
- Esha's sangeet a private affair: Hema Malini - Jun 25, 2012
- Bollywood ladies bless Ash at grand baby shower - Oct 19, 2011
- Bollywood grooves to salsa, latino beats - Dec 11, 2010
- Sonam, Anil to grace 'Dance India Dance L'il Masters' finale - Aug 04, 2010
- Mumbai Participated at 2nd Maharashtra Open Dancesport Championship event at Mayfair Worli - Sep 08, 2010
- Indian designs, Bollywood dominate RFW opening day - May 25, 2012
- Bollywood dance is weird: Sandip Soparrkar - May 07, 2010
- Sushmita congratulates Parul for bringing honour to India (With Images) - Dec 28, 2011
- Riteish-Genelia wed, as film and politics mingle (With Image) - Feb 03, 2012
- Prachi shines at Neeta Lulla's show - Aug 20, 2011
- TV doesn't have many fashion-based shows: Shantanu - May 31, 2012
- Shakti Mohan crowned 'Dance India Dance' winner - Apr 24, 2010
Tags: amisha patel, amitabh bachchan, asian games, ball dance, costumes, dance choreographer, dancers, guess, jaya bachchan, latin american dance, macau china, maximum creativity, neeta lulla, permutations and combinations, preeti, rakhi sawant, selection rounds, wife jaya