Indian compound squad named for World Archery ChampionshipJuly 31st, 2009 - 6:26 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, July 31 (IANS) The Archery Association of India (AAI) Friday named a six-member compound bow squad to represent the country in the 45th World Championship to be held at Ulsan, South Korea, from Sep 1.
Veteran Jhano Hansdah was the lone survivor from the women’s team that last played in the World Cup Stage III. Manjudha Soy and sub-junior national champion Sarikonda Jayalakshmi replaced Bheigyabati Chanu and Namita Yadav.
The AAI had already named the recurve bow squad for the biennial championship a few days back.
The six-member compound squad was announced by AAI secretary general Paresh Nath Mukherjee after selections trials here at the Sports Authority of India (SAI), Eastern Centre.
Mukherjee also announced the inclusion of Kapil of Chandigarh (men) and Reena Kumari of Railways (women) to the recurve squad for the ensuing World Cup Stage IV archery meet to be held at Shanghai (China) from Aug 4-9. The World Cup contingent leaves for Shanghai Sunday night from Kolkata.
Recurve (men): Jayanta Talukdar, Rahul Banerjee (both Steel Plant Sports Board) and Mangal Singh Champia (Railways).
Women: Rimil Buriuly, Pratima Boro (both Steel Plant) and Dola Banerjee (Railways).
Compound (men): C. Srither, Kh. Ratan Singh and Chungda Sherpa (all Services).
Women: Jhano Hansdah, Manjudha Soy (both Jharkhand) and S. Jayalakshmi (Maharashtra).
The Indian squad for World Cup Stage IV:
Recurve, men: Rahul Banerjee, Jayanta Talukdar (both SPSB), Mangal Singh Champia (Rlys) and Kapil (Chandigarh). Women: Rimil Buriuly, Pratima Boro (both SPSB), Dola Banerjee and Reena Kumari (both Rlys).
- Rahul, Mangal in Indian archery team for Asian Grand Prix - Feb 09, 2012
- Indian archery squad named for World Cups - Jul 13, 2011
- Indian archery team for Asian meets announced - Oct 16, 2009
- Eight-member Indian recurve archery squad for World Cup - May 17, 2010
- Nine nations to clash in Asian Archery Grand Prix - Sep 14, 2009
- Asian Grand Prix archery: Seven Indians in semis - Feb 17, 2012
- Indian archers bag 4 gold, 2 silver, 2 bronze medals - Mar 19, 2010
- Asian Grand Prix archery: Rich medal haul for India - Feb 19, 2012
- Four changes in India's archery squad - May 12, 2009
- Chekrovolu, Jayalakshmi make the cut for World Cup - Apr 12, 2009
- Archery World Cup: Indian men to clash for gold - Apr 05, 2009
- Mangal Singh goes down in World Archery quarterfinals - Sep 06, 2009
- Deepika second Indian woman archer to reach World Cup final - Sep 02, 2010
- Disappointing show by Indian archers in individual category - Aug 07, 2009
- Archers confident of rich medals haul in Games - Sep 10, 2010
Tags: aai, archery association, chanu, compound bow, junior national champion, kapil, lone survivor, mangal singh, namita, pratima, ratan singh, recurve bow, reena kumari, shanghai china, sports authority, sports board, stage iii, steel plant, ulsan south korea, world archery