Indian challenge ends with Sahoo’s loss at NECC-ITFNovember 13th, 2008 - 9:12 pm ICT by IANS
Pune, Nov 13 (IANS) The Indian challenge in the $25,000 NECC-ITF women’s tennis championships came to an end with top seed Melanie South beating halting Shalini Sahoo’s fine run in the tournament to enter the semi-final here Thursday. The 116th ranked British had little difficulty in brushing aside Shalini, registering a 6-2, 6-2 win over her in about an hour.
Sahoo began well winning two games in a row, but South came up with solid shots outplaying the Indian to win six games in row and bag the first set. In the second set, South broke Sahoo in the first and the third game to seal the match.
“I tried to play my best, but was beaten by the speed and pace of South. It was the first time I was playing a high ranked player and it was truly a great experience for me. I’ve got a feel of what top class tennis is,” Sahoo admitted.
South said that Sahoo played well, but was overwhelmed with the occasion.
“I’m looking at taking a title here, which will be the third of the year,” said South who plays at the British National Training centre at Roehampton.
Shalini will get 8 WTA points and $686 for her effort.
Results (quarterfinals): Melanie South (Eng) bt. Shalini Sahoo (Ind) 6-2, 6-2; Ksenia Palkina (Kgz) bt. Kai-Chen Chang (Tpe) 6-3, 6-4; Bojana Jovanosvski (Srb) bt. I-Hsuan Hwang (Tpe) 6-2, 6-2; Jing Jing Lu (Chn) bt Ye Ra Lee (Kor) 5-2(retd)
Doubles (semi-finals): Elora Dabija (Rou)/Bojana Jovanovski (Srb) bt. Julia Parasyuk(Rus)/Korina Perkovic (Ger) 3-6, 6-1, 10-4; Kai-Chen Chang/I Hsuan Hwang (Tpe) bt. Jade Curtis / Emily Webley Smith (Eng) 6-4, 6-2
- Sahoo enters quarterfinals of NECC-ITF Women's Tennis - Nov 12, 2008
- Indian qualifier Shalini stuns seventh-seeded Dutch girl - Nov 11, 2008
- South to meet Lu in $25,000 NECC-ITF final - Nov 14, 2008
- Sunitha in pre-quarters in ITF women’s tennis - Nov 18, 2008
- Sunitha, Sanaa lose as Indian campaign ends - Nov 20, 2008
- Selvaraj knocks out Jeong at ITF meet - Jul 31, 2012
- Myneni packs off Murugesan in ITF meet - Jun 05, 2012
- Bisht eliminates Thakkar at ITF meet - Jul 22, 2012
- Sharma puts out Vijayaraghavan in ITF event - Jul 30, 2012
- Indians bow out in first round of QNet women's championship - Mar 19, 2012
- Australian Open: Fish biggest casualty in second round - Jan 18, 2012
- Thai surprise for Vilardo in ITF meet - Jun 11, 2012
- Ranjith leads way into last 8 of tennis meet - Jul 25, 2012
- Qualifier, unseeded players in ITF semis - Nov 20, 2008
- Close call for Vijay Sundar - Jul 24, 2012