Indian boxers to compete in test event for London OlympicsNovember 22nd, 2011 - 10:37 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 22 (IANS) A five member Indian team will compete in the London Boxing International Invitational Tournament, beginning Thursday, as part of their preparations for the 2012 London Olympics.
The squad, which has two female and three male boxers, left for London Tuesday.
The four-day tournament will be held at ExCeL, the boxing venue for the London Games and is billed as a test event before the mega show.
The contest will help the boxers familiarise with the venue and the climate eight months before the Olympics.
Five-time world champion M.C.Mary Kom, a medal hopeful for Olympics, will lead the charge for India.
“We might fight against some of our probable opponents in the upcoming championships and this competition will help us judge them better.”
Vikas Krishan (69kg), bronze medal winner at the AIBA World championship said: “It will be my first Olympics and the test event will help me prepare mentally as well as physically.”
Indian Boxing Federation secretary general P.K.Muralidharan Raja said it is a great initiative by the London 2012 Organising Committee. “It will serve as a test event not just for the organisers but for the boxers as well. They will get a taste of the competition and the condition,” he said.
Women: MC Mary Kom (51 Kg), Pooja Rani (75 Kg)
Men: Amandeep Singh (49 Kg), Vikas Krishan (69 Kg), Dinesh Kumar (81 Kg).
- Mary Kom to lead Indian challenge in Asian championship - Mar 01, 2012
- Mary Kom slams level of refereeing at London Olympics - Aug 14, 2012
- Wrist injury forces Vikas to withdraw from Olympic test event final - Nov 28, 2011
- Tricky draw for Indian boxers, Vikas gets a bye - Jul 28, 2012
- Mary Kom, Sarita look to secure Olympic berth - Apr 04, 2012
- CAS rejects India's appeal on Vikas Krishan - Aug 06, 2012
- Eight Indian boxers to take part in Belgrade tournament - Apr 15, 2011
- Olympic medal perfect way to end my career: Mary Kom - May 08, 2012
- 76 Indians qualify for Olympics, more likely - Jun 12, 2012
- Indian boxer Vikas pulls out of final - Nov 28, 2011
- Vikas enters final of Olympic boxing test event, Dinesh claims bronze - Nov 27, 2011
- Indian boxers need to punch with more meat - Aug 18, 2012
- Mary Kom to train with male boxers for Olympics - May 21, 2012
- World Boxing Championships: Krishan settles for bronze - Oct 08, 2011
- Boxers reaching London early to get acclimatised and train - Jul 12, 2012
Tags: 2012 london olympics, boxing, bronze medal winner, dinesh, eight months, first olympics, hopeful, london 2012, london games, male boxers, muralidharan, New Delhi, olympics, opponents, organisers, raja, rani, secretary general, test event, time world champion