Indian boxers settle for bronze in World CupDecember 14th, 2008 - 1:11 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Dec 14 (IANS) All four Indian boxers lost their semi-finals and had to settle for bronze in the World Cup here.Three of them went down to boxers from Cuba, a traditional powerhouse in the sport.
Barring Akhil Kumar, who put up a strong fight against Olympic silver medallist Leon Alarcon Yankiel, the rest of them fizzled out without much to show.
Akhil, who had made it to the Beijing Olympics quarterfinal, showed resilience and fought bravely in the 54-kg (bantamweight) category. Akhil and Cuban Yankiel were tied 4:4 but the latter was declared the winner on countback.
Jitender Kumar lost his semi-final bout to Cuban Hernandez Laffita, also an Olympic silver medallist. Jitender went down 6-14 in the 51 kg (flyweight) category.
In another bout Saturday, Anthresh Lakra (featherweight) lost to Cuban Idel Torriente 3:6 in the 57 kg category.
In the 81kg (light heavyweight) bout, Dinesh Kumar retired in the second round after receiving heavy blows from Russian Artur Beterbiev, who took a 10-1 lead.
- Three Indian boxers go down in World Cup semi-final (Lead) - Dec 13, 2008
- Boxers Jitender, Lakra in World Cup semis - Dec 11, 2008
- President's Cup: Boxer Devendro loses final to settle for silver - May 07, 2012
- Bronze medallists Indian boxers get a warm welcome - Dec 16, 2008
- Vijender knocked out of World Boxing Championships - Oct 01, 2011
- Santosh, Jitender win bronze in Kazakh boxing meet - May 14, 2011
- Olympic boxing: Bronze for Russia, Ireland - Aug 10, 2012
- Akhil, Vijender to lead charge in World Boxing Championship - Aug 18, 2011
- Boxer Akhil in World Cup semi-final - Dec 10, 2008
- Six Indian boxers assured of bronze at Cuban event - Jun 05, 2011
- Boxer Poonia settles for silver at Comonwealth Youth Games - Sep 12, 2011
- Shiva, Sangwan secure London Olympics berth (Roundup) - Apr 11, 2012
- Shiva youngest Indian boxer to qualify for Olympics - Apr 11, 2012
- CWG Boxing: Vijender moves into semis, Akhil crashes out - Oct 11, 2010
- Asian Games boxing: Santhosh in semis, Amandeep out in quarters - Nov 22, 2010