Indian boxers off to a flying start in World junior (Second Lead, Superseding previous story)May 24th, 2009 - 10:17 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 24 (IANS) Indian boxers made a formidable start in the World Junior Boxing Championships, with Shiva Thapa and Sumit Sangwan outpunching their opponents to advance to the second round in Yerevan, Armenia.
Thapa defeated Andranik Hiloyan of Armenia 11-2 in the light bantamweight (52 kg) while Sangwan, too, dominated his bout, thrashing Isarel’s Levi Yossi 11-0 in the light middleweight category (70 kg).
Thapa raced to a 6-0 lead in the opening round before Hiloyan came back to take the second round 2-1. Thapa dominated the third round securing 4 points before the referee stopped the contest.
The promising Indian, who won a gold medal on his international debut in the Hyder Aliyev tournament last year, will meet Ukraine’s Yuriy Shestak, who beat Bulgaria’s Alexandry Morarou 11-4.
Sangwan unleashed a flurry of punches right from the start. He had scores of 3, 5 and 3 in the three rounds.
He will next face Turkey’s Aksim Burak, who beat Gabor Breznai of Hungary 6-5 in a tough contest.
- Indian boxers make great start in World junior (Lead) - May 24, 2009
- Thapa advances to second round of World junior boxing - May 24, 2009
- Three Indian boxers in semifinal of World junior meet - May 27, 2009
- Indians sparkle in junior boxing championships - May 26, 2009
- Olympics: Vijender, Kashyap and Ghosh keep India's spirits up (Overall Roundup) - Jul 29, 2012
- Three Indian boxers in World junior meet quarters - May 25, 2009
- Indian boxers look to make a mark at the grandest stage (Preview) - Jul 27, 2012
- Olympics: Indian boxer Sangwan loses a bout he had 'won' - Jul 30, 2012
- Olympics: Indian boxers Vijender, Jai Bhagwan shine (Second Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- Tricky draw for Indian boxers, Vikas gets a bye - Jul 28, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Indian pugilist Jai Bhagwan boxed out - Aug 02, 2012
- Sangwan loses controversial bout, India lodges complaint (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Olympic boxing: India's Manoj Kumar knocked out - Aug 05, 2012
- Suranjoy, Sumit in second round of Asian Olympic qualifying event - Apr 06, 2012
- Eight Indian boxers to take part in Belgrade tournament - Apr 15, 2011