Indian boxers get warm welcome upon their return from MoscowDecember 16th, 2008 - 5:19 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Dec 16 (ANI): Indian pugilists Jitender Kumar, Akhil Kumar, A.L. Lakra and Dinesh Kumar received a warm welcome at the Indira Gandhi International Airport (IGI) today on their return from Moscow where they clinched bronze medals at the Boxing World Cup.
The four boxers were hailed by the fans who had gathered at the airport to welcome them with flowers and music.
Boxer Akhil Kumar who had missed bronze at Beijing Olympics seemed extremely pleased with his performance at the Moscow World Cup.
“I”m very happy. The performance has been quite good for the Indian boxing team. The Indian boxing team will surely go ahead. I”m trying hard, luck was maybe not on my side, but I”m doing my level best to succeed,” said Akhil Kumar.
Coach Gurbax Singh Sandhu said the victory was an occasion of great joy to everybody. “Four boxers, all of them selected and all of them have returned with medals. No other thing can bring us more happiness than this,” he said.
Four medals haul at the World Cup make it India’’s best ever performance at the event and also at any international tournament.
India won a medal at the boxing World Cup 14 years ago and this victory is sure to take Indian boxing to new level. (ANI)
- Indian boxers excelling but lot more required: Chief coach Sandhu - Jul 20, 2012
- Indian boxers, coaches upbeat about their chances - Sep 13, 2010
- Star boxer Akhil Kumar joins Mumbai Fighters - Oct 20, 2011
- Mumbai Fighters name strong team for World Series Boxing - Nov 04, 2011
- Bronze medallists Indian boxers get a warm welcome - Dec 16, 2008
- Top Indian boxers head to Cuba for Olympics' preparation - May 22, 2011
- Indian boxers aiming for gold in London Olympics - Jan 20, 2012
- Akhil wants to retain Commonwealth Games title (Lead, superseding earlier story) - Sep 29, 2010
- World Boxing Championship: Devendro in second round - Sep 26, 2011
- Santosh wins gold in President's Cup - Jul 08, 2011
- India gets first gold in CWG: Bindra, Narang win in air rifle event - Oct 05, 2010
- CWG boxing: Vijender knocked out; Suranjoy, Manoj in finals (Lead) - Oct 11, 2010
- Boxing team sure of medals at Commonwealth Youth Games - Sep 07, 2011
- President's Cup: Boxer Devendro loses final to settle for silver - May 07, 2012
- Indian boxers are fearless: Sandhu - Jul 21, 2012
Tags: akhil kumar, beijing olympics, boxer, boxing team, boxing world cup, bronze medals, dinesh kumar, flowers, great joy, happiness, hard luck, indira gandhi, indira gandhi international airport, moscow, New Delhi, olympics, pugilists, singh sandhu, victory, warm welcome