Indian boxer Devendro in finals of President’s CupMay 6th, 2012 - 5:42 pm ICT by IANS
Almaty (Kazakhstan), May 6 (IANS) India’s L. Devendro Singh entered the finals of 49 kg at the President’s Cup boxing event here Sunday.
The 20-year-old triumphed over his more experienced opponent, Olympian and Asian Games silver medallist Birzhan Zakipov of Kazakhstan, in an enthralling semifinal bout.
Devendro, who beat Russian boxer Egorov Vasily in the quarters, made a strong start in the round of four and set the pace with his fluent ring movement.
He was leading 3:2 after the opening three minutes of play and continued to add to his tally with some precise attacking in the second. Zakipov though, kept coming back at Devendro and was close on his heels with just two points separating them(11:9).
In the final round, the Kazakh tried hard to take the game away from the Indian, but Devendro was solid in his defence. He lost the round but managed to win the bout on count back, after the scores were level at 16 all.
“My opponent was a very experienced boxer and fought with very sound technique and strategy. It was a tough fight and I am very happy to have ended on the winning side,” said Devendro.
The Indian will be looking to secure his first gold on the senior tour, when he takes on Cuba’s top Light Flyweight boxer Yosvany Veita in the summit clash.
The other two Indian boxers - Asian Games silver medallist Manpreet Singh (91kg) and debutant Kanwar Preet Singh (+91kg) - settled for a bronze after losing their semifinal bouts.
The two heavy weight boxers lost out to the respective Kazakh opponents. Manpreet put up a brave performance against Abduganiev Arbek, but in the end came up short (12:19).
Kanwar on the other hand went down in a one sided contest with Dichko Ivan proving too strong for the rookie. He lost 3:13.
- President's Cup: Boxer Devendro loses final to settle for silver - May 07, 2012
- Shiva youngest Indian boxer to qualify for Olympics - Apr 11, 2012
- President's Cup Boxing: Kanwar Preet enter semis, Vikas exits - May 04, 2012
- Shiva, Sangwan secure London Olympics berth (Roundup) - Apr 11, 2012
- Shiva Thapa youngest Indian boxer to qualify for Olympics (Lead) - Apr 11, 2012
- Manpreet in quarters of Olympic qualifying event - Apr 06, 2012
- Six Indian boxers assured of bronze at Cuban event - Jun 05, 2011
- Suranjoy, Sumit in second round of Asian Olympic qualifying event - Apr 06, 2012
- Boxers Shiva, Sangwan strike gold at Olympic qualifier - Apr 12, 2012
- Olympics: Wrestler Geeta, high jumper Sahana out (India Intro Roundup) - Aug 10, 2012
- Akhil, Vijender to lead charge in World Boxing Championship - Aug 18, 2011
- Olympics: Geeta to wrestle in repechage; Devendro, Sahana out (India Roundup) - Aug 10, 2012
- Asian Games boxing: Krishan wins gold, Dinesh silver (Lead) - Nov 25, 2010
- World Boxing meet: Vikas lone Indian to reach semis - Oct 06, 2011
- Asian Games boxing: Vijender wins gold, India finish with nine medals (Seond Lead) - Nov 26, 2010
Tags: almaty kazakhstan, arbek, asian games, bouts, boxing event, brave performance, debutant, heavy weight, indian boxers, kanwar, kazakh, light flyweight, manpreet singh, opponent, preet, russian boxer, summit clash, three minutes, vasily, winning side