Indian archers finish third in world championship qualifiersSeptember 4th, 2009 - 10:11 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Sep 4 (IANS) India’s men recurve archers hit the target as they finished third in team qualifiers that saw the South Koreans setting three world records on the third day of the 45th World Archery Championship at Ulsan (South Korea) Friday.
The Indian trio of Mangal Singh Champia, Jayanta Talukdar and Rahul Banerjee cobbled together a total of 4,006 points to finish behind South Korea (4,122) and France (4,026).
The South Koreans bettered their existing word record of 4,074 set in 2003.
Champia ended seventh overall totalling 1,345, while Talukdar was 13th with 1,340 and Banerjee took the 32nd spot with 1,321 in a field of 115 archers.
Top Korean archer Oh Jin Hyek set two more records on a dramatic day when a lot of big names found the going tough. His individual total of 1,386 was better than 1,379 set by his compatriot Oh Kyo-Moon in 2000. Jin Hyek also set the record in 90m distance with a total of 342, that bettered his previous best of 337.
In a field of 16 top teams, India would be seeded third. Thus, they would not have to take on Korea before the final.
In the run-up to the world championship, the same three-member Indian men’s team won two gold and a silver medal in the first three World Cup meets. The trio also gave India the Asian championship team gold medal in 2007 after a gap of 18 years.
- Asian Games archery: Modest show by Indians - Nov 20, 2010
- Archery: Indian men a big let down on opening day (Lead) - Jul 27, 2012
- Olympics archery: South Korea's Oh shoots gold - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympics: Deepika's show only silver lining for Indian archery (Second Lead) - Jul 27, 2012
- Archery World Cup Stage II: Deepika Kumari lifts Indian team to 2nd place - Jun 08, 2011
- 'Blind' archer helps set Olympics' first world record (Lead) - Jul 27, 2012
- World Cup Stage I archery: Indians put up a modest show - May 04, 2011
- 'Blind' archer smashes London Olympics' first world record - Jul 27, 2012
- Dismal show by Indian recurve archers - May 05, 2011
- Mangal Singh goes down in World Archery quarterfinals - Sep 06, 2009
- Early exit for Indians in archery World Cup - Aug 06, 2010
- Asian Games archery: Indian women get bronze, Korea take gold (Lead) - Nov 21, 2010
- Asian Games archery: Tarundeep wins silver (Lead) - Nov 24, 2010
- Indian archers off the mark at Lord's - Jul 27, 2012
- Olympics: India's archers primed for glory (Preview) - Jul 26, 2012
Tags: asian championship, banerjee, compatriot, france 4, gap, indian men, kyo, mangal singh, rahul, silver medal, south korea, south koreans, talukdar, target, team gold medal, team qualifiers, third day, ulsan south korea, word record, world archery