India women go down to New Zealand in four-nation meetApril 12th, 2012 - 7:32 pm ICT by IANS
Auckland, April 12 (IANS) The Indian women’s hockey team Thursday went down fighting 1-2 to hosts New Zealand in their opening match of the Four-Nation Tournament at the Harbour Hockey Stadium here.
The goal scorers for New Zealand were Anita Punt (3rd) and Katie Glynn (24th), while Anuradha Devi Thokchom sounded the board for India in the 40th minute.
In windy and cool conditions, New Zealand made the perfect start with striker Anita scoring the opening goal after a circle scramble in the 3rd minute.
India made a number of penetrating runs from forwards Rani Rampal, Vandana Katariya and Ritu Rani but found the Kiwi defenders rising to the occasion.
India played full press in the first half and earned four penalty corners but were unable to break New Zealand’s clean sheet.
The Kiwis increased their lead in the 24th minute with the powerful Katie Glynn smashing the ball high into the goal past Indian goalkeeper Yogita Bali. Glynn had earlier executed an impressive drag-flick attempt from a penalty corner which was saved by Bali.
After the breather India attacked rigorously and were rewarded when Poonam Rani set up Anuradha Devi Thokchom who found the target in the 40th minute. India kept pushing for the equalizer but brilliant saves from New Zealand goalkeeper Bianca Russell enabled the home team to hold on to the 2-1 victory.
India will now play the US in their second match Friday.
- India come back from two goals down to hold New Zealand - Apr 21, 2012
- India bag bronze in four-nation women's hockey meet - Dec 19, 2011
- Indian women's hockey team lose 0-3 to US - Apr 18, 2012
- Indian women hockey team's Olympic dreams shattered (Lead) - Feb 26, 2012
- Indian women beat Canada 4-1 in Olympic hockey qualifiers (Lead) - Feb 19, 2012
- Indian women lose in hockey Champions Challenge I - Jun 25, 2011
- Anjum to lead Indian women's hockey team in Australia - Sep 29, 2011
- Olympic qualifiers: Indian men thrash Italy 8-1, women beat Canada 4-1 (Roundup) - Feb 19, 2012
- Indian women held 1-1 by lowly ranked Ukraine in hockey qualifiers (Lead) - Feb 18, 2012
- Lakra to lead Indian women's hockey team in Argentina - Nov 30, 2011
- Indian women finish seventh in Champions Challenge I hockey - Jun 26, 2011
- Indian eves win bronze in Auckland hockey tourney - Apr 22, 2012
- Indian women's hockey team lose to Argentina - Dec 15, 2011
- India eves go down to China in Junior Asia Cup - Jul 02, 2012
- Haryana to play Railways in women's national hockey final - Jan 29, 2011
Tags: anita, bianca, flick, forwards, goal scorers, goalkeeper, hockey stadium, hockey team, india women, indian women, kiwi, kiwis, nation tournament, penalty corners, punt, rising to the occasion, ritu, striker, target, yogita bali