India win toss, decide to bat (Lead)March 14th, 2009 - 11:43 am ICT by IANS
Auckland, March 14 (IANS) Indian skipper Mahendra Singh won the toss and decided to bat in the rain-delayed fifth and final One-Day International (ODI) cricket match against New Zealand at Eden Park here Saturday.The match had been shortened to 43 overs with the three powerplays being reduced to nine, four and four overs. Three bowlers can bowl nine overs and two eight each.
India have already clinched the five-match series 3-0, with one match abandoned due to rain.
India retained the side that won the fourth match at Hamilton, while New Zealand brought in veteran all-rounder Scott Styris in place of Even Thompson who failed to clear a fitness test.
This the first time an India team won a ODI series in this country and for hosts it is easily their worst defeat at home.
India: Mahendra Singh Dhoni (captain and wicketkeeper), Virender Sehwag, Gautam Gambhir, Suresh Raina,Yuvraj Singh, Rohit Sharma, Yusuf Pathan, Harbhajan Singh, Zaheer Khan, Praveen Kumar, Ishant Sharma. 12th man: Munaf Patel.
New Zealand: Daniel Vettori (captain), Brendon McCullum, Jesse Ryder, Martin Guptill, Ross Taylor, Scott Styris, Grant Elliott, Jacob Oram, Peter McGlashan (wicketkeeper), Kyle Mills, Iain O’Brien. 12th man: Jeetan Patel
Umpires: Rudi Koertzen and Gary Baxter.
Third umpire: Evan Watkin.
Match referee: Ranjan Madugalle.
–Indo-Asian New Service
- Rain delays start of play in last ODI in Auckland - Mar 14, 2009
- India opt to bat against New Zealand - Aug 23, 2012
- New Zealand win the toss, India to bat - Mar 08, 2009
- India elect to bat against New Zealand - Aug 25, 2010
- New Zealand include seven rookies among World Cup probables - Dec 22, 2010
- Dhoni wins toss again, India to bat in second ODI - Mar 06, 2009
- India wins toss, to bat against New Zealand - Nov 04, 2010
- Vettori wins toss, New Zealand to bat in 4th ODI - Mar 11, 2009
- New Zealand opt to bat against India - Aug 10, 2010
- Kiwis win toss, opt to bat in fifth ODI - Dec 10, 2010
- India opt to field against New Zealand - Dec 01, 2010
- New Zealand opt to bowl; Vettori left out - Nov 28, 2010
- Pressure on New Zealand to level series against India - Mar 07, 2009
- Final scoreboard: India vs. New Zealand, Third ODI - Mar 08, 2009
- Black Caps pick uncapped Woodcock in World Cup squad - Jan 19, 2011
Tags: brendon mccullum, cricket match, daniel vettori, eden park, gary baxter, gautam gambhir, indian skipper, jacob oram, mahendra singh dhoni, odi cricket, odi series, praveen kumar, rohit sharma, ross taylor, scott styris, suresh raina, virender sehwag, yusuf pathan, yuvraj singh, zaheer khan