India win Jr Davis Cup zonal finalMay 3rd, 2008 - 10:12 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, May 3 (IANS) India outplayed Japan 2-0 in the final of the Asia-Oceania junior Davis Cup tennis tournament in scorching heat at the DLTA complex here Saturday. India dropped the only set in the competition when Saurabh Singh was taken to three sets by Motoaki Kita before winning 6-2, 3-6, 6-1 before Yuki Bhambri beat Yasutaka Uchiyama in straight sets, 6-4, 6-1.
The searing heat took a toll of the Japanese. Considering the conditions, Kita did well to snatch a set from Saurabh.
The Japanese player began shakily, playing loose shots and Saurabh took the first set comfortably. Kita fought back in the second, getting a break in the very first game and kept the pressure on Saurabh, breaking his serve again.
In the decisive third set, Saurabh was all over Kita and let him hold his serve only once to easily win the set and match.
It took World no.5 Yuki Bhambri some time to gauge Uchiyama’s game but once he got the measure of the Japanese there was no stopping him.
Bhambri snatched an early break, but Uchiyama soon broke back in the fourth game to level 2-2. The Japanese with his booming serve and netplay managed to put Bhambri on the defensive.
However, Uchiyama was erratic with his returns, particularly on his forehand and Bhambri fully exploited the weakness to get the decisive break in the seventh game.
Yuki began the second set strongly and broke the Japanese in the third game. He paced his game well and charged the net more often. Yuki went on to break the Japanese in the fifth and seventh game to take the set and match.
- Davis Cup: Yuki gives India 1-0 lead - Sep 14, 2012
- Vignesh upsets Gajjar, Yuki breezes into ITF quarters - Jun 08, 2011
- Yuki advances; Vishnu flatters to deceive (Lead) - Jan 02, 2012
- Yuki overcomes Myneni, plays Vishnu in the final - Oct 14, 2011
- Poonacha, Riya bag ITF junior titles - Sep 01, 2012
- Aircel ATP Tennis: Nishikori eliminates champ Cilic - Jan 03, 2011
- Yuki Bhambri and Rutuja Bhosale are new national tennis champions - Oct 15, 2011
- Yuki concedes ITF quarterfinals - Jun 09, 2011
- Prerna, Ankita only Indians to advance to quarterfinals - May 11, 2011
- Chennai Open: Tipsarevic too good for Bhambri (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- Indians knocked out of Chennai Open singles (Roundup) - Jan 05, 2011
- Jeevan survives close match in Bangalore ITF event - Jun 12, 2012
- Kyra Shroff stuns third seed in ITF tennis - Mar 20, 2012
- Isha Lakhani beats talented Balu in national tennis - Oct 12, 2011
- Chennai Open: Yuki puts out fancied Beck - Jan 02, 2012
Tags: asia oceania, davis cup, davis cup tennis, first game, forehand, India, japan, japanese player, New Delhi, saurabh singh, straight sets, tennis tournament, third game, uchiyama, winning 6, yuki bhambri