India win hockey Test series in New ZealandMarch 1st, 2009 - 9:42 pm ICT by IANS
Auckland, March 1 (IANS) Skipper Sandeep Singh and Dilip Tirkey struck as India beat New Zealand 2-0 in the fourth and last hockey match at the Lloyd Elsmore Stadium here Sunday and wrapped up the four-match Test series.
Tirkey opened the account in the 43rd minute and Sandeep doubled the lead just three minutes from the final whistle to end the tour on a winning note for India. The vistors drew the first and the third match 1-1 and won the second match 2-1.
After a hard fought first-half that ended goalless, India stepped up the game in the second half to strike twice.
India could have opened the account in the 19th minute but Sandeep’s drag-flick was saved on the goal-line. In the next few another chance went begging as Shivendra Singh failed to convert after being set up by Sardar Singh.
Arjun Halappa and Tushar Khandekar troubled the Black Sticks defence by making regular forays from both the flanks and and midfielders Rajpal Singh, Sardar and Gurbaj Singh also maintained the pressure with their moves to prise open the defence.
In the second half, India stepped up the pressure and Tirkey, playing his 380th international match, converted a penalty strike in the 43rd minute to give India the lead much.
Sandeep then struck the winner in the 67th minute finding the top left of the goal with apparent ease.
- Azlan Shah Cup: India narrowly go down to Britain - May 27, 2012
- India beat Pakistan 4-2 in Azlan Shah hockey - May 07, 2010
- India ride on Sandeep's brilliance to book London berth - Feb 26, 2012
- Asian Games hockey: India beat Pakistan, reach semi-finals (Lead) - Nov 20, 2010
- India lose to Spain in second hockey Test - Jul 08, 2012
- Asian Games hockey: Indian men beat Japan 3-2, to face Malaysia in semis (Lead) - Nov 21, 2010
- Olympic qualifiers: Indian men thrash Italy 8-1, women beat Canada 4-1 (Roundup) - Feb 19, 2012
- Indian women's hockey team thrashed 2-5 by Australia - Apr 19, 2012
- India scrape past France 4-3 in first hockey Test - Jul 19, 2010
- Olympic qualifiers: Indian men's hockey team thrash France 6-2, women win 3-0 (Roundup) - Feb 21, 2012
- India beaten 1-2 by Spain in tri-nation meet - Jul 19, 2012
- Sandeep, Sardar recalled in national team for Australia tour - Sep 29, 2011
- Asian Champions Trophy: Rajpal to lead men's team, Anjum women's - Aug 16, 2011
- Hockey Olympic qualifier: Indian men close to reaching final; women in tight spot (Roundup) - Feb 23, 2012
- India beat Kiwis in U-21 women's hockey - Nov 08, 2011
Tags: arjun, black sticks, dilip, elsmore, flanks, flick, forays, goal line, india beat, match 2, midfielders, new zealand auckland, rajpal, sardar singh, skipper, test series, three minutes, tirkey, tushar, whistle