India win 243 medals including 92 gold at Special Games in AthensJuly 8th, 2011 - 3:28 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, July 8 (IANS) India won 243 medals, including 92 gold, at the recent Special Olympics World Summer Games-2011 in Athens.
Mallika Nadda, chairperson of the Special Olympics Himachal Pradesh branch, told IANS that India had sent the fourth largest contingent for the event in which 7,000 athletes from 180 countries participated. The World Summer Games were held June 25 to July 4.
“India sent 235 athletes, which was the fourth largest contingent after Greece, the US and China. India won 243 medals, including 92 gold,” she said.
Five athletes from Himachal Pradesh, who participated in the track and field event, won 10 medals. Pawan Kumar, Sushil Kumar, Prabha, Aman and Ranjana, all from Himachal Pradesh, won five gold, two silver and three bronze medals in individual and team categories.
Special Olympics are where athletes with intellectual disabilities take part.
- Himachal's special athletes to attend Athens meet - Jun 06, 2011
- Wasps kill Special Olympics gold winner - Oct 18, 2010
- Floor hockey meet for special athletes begins in Himachal - Dec 15, 2010
- Himachal activist gets Rajiv Gandhi award - Nov 14, 2011
- 200 arrive for Special Olympics in Himachal - Feb 15, 2011
- Haryana Police to give Rs. 51 lakh to Yogeshwar Dutt - Aug 23, 2012
- Olympics: India on a medal count - Jul 27, 2012
- He promised me a medal: Vijay's father - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympic weightlifting: Ravi Kumar finishes sixth in 69kg - Jul 31, 2012
- New Zealand to send 185 athletes to London Olympics - Jul 09, 2012
- In CWG haul, Haryana proves its might - Oct 15, 2010
- Andhra announces Rs.50 lakh cash award for Gagan - Jul 31, 2012
- India to send largest ever contingent for Asian Games - Oct 30, 2010
- Mexico has best Olympics in over 40 years - Aug 13, 2012
- Indian athletes' London tryst amid soaring expectations - Jul 26, 2012
Tags: athens, bronze medals, chairperson, contingent, gold, greece, India, intellectual disabilities, july 4, mallika, nadda, olympics, olympics world, shimla, special games, special olympics, sushil kumar, team categories, track and field, world summer games