India Vs Sri Lanka ODI Abandoned Due To Bad PitchDecember 27th, 2009 - 8:10 pm ICT by GD
By Ranjan Bhaduri,
Dec.27, (THAINDIAN NEWS) December 27 saw the 5th ODI being played between Indian and Sri Lanka in Delhi (India), which proceeded to the 23rd over in the first innings before it was abandoned due to bad pitch conditions. The match started with India winning the toss and deciding to bowl first. The Sri Lankan squad made a total of 83 runs in 5 overs, before the captain Kumar Sangakkara along with Mahela Jayawardene waved from the boundaries and what followed was a long discussion between the captains and the referee.
The pitch conditions were bad enough that the bounce of the deliveries varied to a huge extent. The batsmen took just a couple of bad hits, without any serious injuries. M.S.Dhoni could have had a bad day if he had been hit by the long delivery (by Sudeep Tyagi) which was headed straight towards him.
In the 23 overs that were actually played, there was a lot of action which was directed mainly towards the batsmen including “blows to the fingers, shoulders etc.” MS Dhoni, who returned to the ODI after sitting the last two matches due to a slow over rate ban, was at his best. Sanath Jayasuriya made the highest with 31 runs in 51 balls with 5 boundaries before he suffered an lbw on a Harbhajan Singh bowl. Tillakaratne Dilshan was the next highest scorer with 20 runs off 39 balls and 2 boundaries, before he was taken out by Zaheer Khan. The other players who got a chance were Upul tharanga, Captain Kumar Sangakkara and Thilan Samaraweera. Thilina Kandamby and Muthumudalige Pushpakumara were still on the field before the match was called off.
- Delhi ODI called off due to unplayable pitch (Lead) - Dec 27, 2009
- Fifth India-Sri Lanka ODI spiked due to poor pitch (Second Lead) - Dec 27, 2009
- Sri Lanka elect to field against India - Jan 05, 2010
- India-Sri Lanka tie their ODI tri-series encounter (Roundup) - Feb 14, 2012
- India opt to field against Sri Lanka - Dec 27, 2009
- Yuvraj ruled out, Sehwag declared fit for Nagpur ODI - Dec 17, 2009
- India win a high-scoring thriller against Sri Lanka (Lead) - Dec 15, 2009
- Kotla pitch was dangerous to play on, asserts Sangakkara - Dec 31, 2009
- Asia Cup: Pakistan beat Sri Lanka with bonus point (Lead) - Mar 15, 2012
- Sri Lanka opt to bowl against Bangladesh - Jan 04, 2010
- India Vs Sri Lanka: 1st ODI, Updated Till 1st Innings - Dec 15, 2009
- India to test bench strength against Sri Lanka in Kotla ODI (Preview) - Dec 26, 2009
- Sri Lanka recall veteran Jayasuriya for ODIs and Twenty20 in England - Jun 09, 2011
- Gambhir, Dhoni help India pull off four-wicket win against Oz (Roundup) - Feb 12, 2012
- India look to wrap up ODI series at Eden Gardens - Dec 23, 2009
Tags: 5th odi, bad day, delhi india, dilshan, harbhajan singh, jayasuriya, jayawardene, kumar sangakkara, lbw, ms dhoni, pitch conditions, pushpakumara, ranjan, referee, sanath, scorer, sri lankan, tyagi, upul tharanga, zaheer khan