India U-19 cricket team gets heroes welcomeAugust 28th, 2012 - 7:38 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 28 (IANS) The triumphant U-19 Indian cricket team arrived home to a euphoric reception here Tuesday afternoon.
As Delhi boy and skipper Unmukt Chand, who hit a match-winning unbeaten century in the final against Australia, came out of the Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport terminal here, holding the trophy, celebrations broke out.
Local Harmeet Singh’s relatives and friends also turned up in large numbers and carried a huge cutout of the spinner.
“I am very happy. We played well in Australia and won it. It’s a proud feeling,” Chand told reporters at the airport.
Asked if a national call is near, Chand said: “(Berth in the) Senior team is a long way away. Now there is an India A team (tour to New Zealand) where I have to perform. If I perform well, then let’s see.”
Chand is the third U-19 captain after Mohammed Kaif and Virat Kohli to lead the country to the under-19 World Cup title.
Chand has been included in the Abhinav Mukund-led India A squad that will tour New Zealand.
- Mukund named India A captain for New Zealand tour - Aug 10, 2012
- Uttarakhand's Rs.11 lakh for Unmukt Chand - Aug 29, 2012
- India seniors laud U-19 World Champions - Aug 26, 2012
- Chand to lead India in U-19 cricket World Cup - Jul 03, 2012
- ICC U-19 World Cup Final: Australia lock horns with India (Preview) - Aug 25, 2012
- Chand to lead India in U-19 Asia Cup - Jun 04, 2012
- U-19 World Cup: India set up title clash with Australia (Lead) - Aug 23, 2012
- Under-19 cricketers' welcome ends in chaos in Kolkata - Aug 29, 2012
- Unmukt hopes for an amicable solution with St. Stephen's - Aug 31, 2012
- 16 teams named for next month's U-19 cricket World Cup - Jul 12, 2012
- U-19 victory: Unmukt Chand hails team effort - Aug 26, 2012
- Scoreboard: India vs New Zealand, U-19 World Cup, Semifinal - Aug 23, 2012
- U-19 World Cup: India pip Pakistan to enter semis (Lead) - Aug 20, 2012
- ICC U-19 World Cup: India-Pakistan clash for place in semis - Aug 19, 2012
- Indian diaspora basks in U-19 win glory - Aug 30, 2012
Tags: australia, berth, celebrations, chand, chhatrapati shivaji international airport, heroes, India, indian cricket team, international airport terminal, large numbers, match, mohammed kaif, mukund, new zealand, relatives, spinner, trophy, tuesday afternoon, world cup title