India to play five one-dayers in Sri Lanka (Lead)January 13th, 2009 - 3:26 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, Jan 13 (IANS) The Indian cricket team will play five One-Day Internationals (ODI) and a Twenty20 match against Sri Lanka in Colombo in January-February. The decision was taken at a meeting here Tuesday between the officials of Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) led by secretary N. Srinivasan and Sri Lanka’s sports minister Gamini Lokuge.
“We are very happy that BCCI has agreed to our request to play five ODIs and a Twenty20 here later this month. The detailed itinerary will be released shortly,” Minister Lokuge told reporters at the Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) headquarters.
“In future we are going to be with the BCCI. We have decided to allow our players to play in the forthcoming Indian Premier League (IPL),” Lokuge said, adding that a 10-year agreement has been signed with the IPL.
Lokuge said that the SLC will follow BCCI stand on the rebel Indian Cricket League.
The BCCI badly wanted the Sri Lanka series to offset the losses to the tune of $25 million from the scrapping of the last two ODIs against England, a tour to Pakistan in the wake of the terror attack in Mumbai and the postponement of the Champions Trophy in Pakistan.
The Indian government refused permission for the tour to Pakistan in view of the strained bilateral relations and the Indian cricket team does not have an international commitment until the tour of New Zealand in March.
The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) had invited Sri Lanka to fill in for the cancelled India tour and the island nation agreed on the condition that between the three Tests and the five ODIs they will return home to host India. The Pakistan tour is scheduled from Jan 20.
- India agrees to play five ODIs in Sri Lanka (Second Lead) - Jan 13, 2009
- Sri Lankan cricketers agree to return home early for England tour - Apr 20, 2011
- 'Twenty20 league owned by Sri Lankan board, not private body' - Jun 19, 2011
- No DRS for Australia-Sri Lanka series for lack of sponsor - Jul 15, 2011
- (VM) India-Pakistan to revive cricketing ties after 5 years (Third Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- India-Pakistan break the ice on cricketing ties (Roundup) - Jul 16, 2012
- SLC hopes to convince BCCI to allow participation of Indian cricketers (Lead) - Jun 19, 2011
- India to play 5 ODIs and a Twenty20 in Sri Lanka - Jan 13, 2009
- Indian, Sri Lankan cricket boards hopeful of finding a solution - Apr 21, 2011
- Sri Lanka willing to host India ahead of Pakistan tour - Jan 04, 2009
- Dilshan to join Sri Lanka squad in England - May 02, 2011
- Sri Lanka cricket officials rush to meet BCCI - Jun 21, 2011
- Cash strapped Sri Lanka board reduces budget for Australia's tour - Jun 26, 2011
- Pakistan's domestic T20 winners to play in Champions League: BCCI - May 12, 2012
- Sri Lanka wants to host India amid Pakistan tour (Supersedes earlier version) - Jan 04, 2009
Tags: bilateral relations, champions trophy, cricket league, india bcci, india tour, indian cricket team, indian government, international commitment, ipl, island nation, odis, pakistan cricket board, pakistan cricket board pcb, pakistan tour, play five, postponement, s sports, sri lanka cricket, srinivasan, terror attack