India tightens noose on New Zealand at lunch (Lead)August 25th, 2012 - 2:51 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Aug 25 (IANS) India tightened the noose on New Zealand bowling out the visitors for a meagre 159 and, with a lead of 279 runs in the first innings, enforced the follow-on at lunch on Day 3 of the first cricket Test match at the Rajiv Gandhi International Stadium, Uppal, here Saturday.
In the 19.3 overs bowled this morning, the New Zealand bottom-half, starting the day at 106/5, could not put up a fight and were all out at the stroke of lunch adding only 53 runs.
Off-spinner Ravichandran Ashwin was the star of the day clinching the last three wickets in 2.3 overs this morning giving away just one run to finish with career-best figures of 6/31.
Earlier, bad weather delayed the start as rain in the morning led to the ground being covered. The match eventually started an hour late after the water was cleared off by the groundsmen. Seven overs were deducted from the day’s play reducing the number of overs to 83, opening up the possibility of play to be extended till 5.30 p.m., light permitting.
After the Black Caps came in to bat, Umesh Yadav struck immediately taking Kruger van Wyk’s (0) wicket in the second over of the day.
Spinners Ashwin and Pragyan Ojha took advantage of the dry track and ripped through the Kiwi lower order. At 111/6, Doug Bracewell and James Franklin tried to consolidate their partnership.
However, Ojha with his flighted delivery, brought out Bracewell (17) who was stumped by skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni.
Next batsman Jeetan Patel went for a drive on a volley by Ashwin, only to give a low catch to the spinner. Trent Boult (4) then edged one to short leg Gambhir. Last man in, Chris Martin, did defend but was bowled to bring the innings to a close.
Franklin remained unbeaten at 43 as he ran out of partners in quick succession.
- India tighten noose on Kiwis, rain curtails third day's play (Second Lead) - Aug 25, 2012
- Scoreboard: India vs New Zealand, second Test, day two - Sep 01, 2012
- India vs New Zealand: Scoreboard at lunch on Day 3 - Aug 25, 2012
- Scoreboard: India vs. New Zealand, Second Test, Day Two - Sep 01, 2012
- India vs New Zealand: Scoreboard at tea - Sep 01, 2012
- Scoreboard of India's first innings against New Zealand - Aug 24, 2012
- India vs New Zealand: Scoreboard at tea on Day 3 - Aug 25, 2012
- India vs New Zealand: Scoreboard at lunch, Second Test, Day Four - Sep 03, 2012
- India vs New Zealand scoreboard, second Test, day three - Sep 02, 2012
- Scoreboard: India vs New Zealand, Day 2, First Test - Aug 24, 2012
- India vs Kiwis: Scoreboard at lunch, second Test, day 3 - Sep 02, 2012
- India vs New Zealand; First Test; Lunch scoreboard - Aug 23, 2012
- India vs New Zealand: Scoreboard at tea, second Test, day three - Sep 02, 2012
- Final Scoreboard: India vs New Zealand, 1st Test - Aug 26, 2012
- Ashwin strikes, Test poised for close finish (Roundup) - Sep 02, 2012
Tags: ashwin, bad weather, batsman, black caps, bracewell, chris martin, cricket test match, dhoni, james franklin, jeetan patel, meagre, ojha, pragyan, rajiv gandhi international stadium, ravichandran, short leg, uppal, van wyk, wicket, wickets