India struggling to save follow-on in Adelaide Test (Lead)January 26th, 2012 - 9:56 am ICT by IANS
Adelaide, Jan 26 (IANS) India were struggling to avoid follow-on as they were reduced to 122 for five in the first innings, in reply to Australia’s 604 for seven declared, at lunch on the third day of the fourth and final cricket Test at the Adelaide Oval here Thursday.
Virat Kohli was unbeaten on 21 and wicketkeeper-batsman Wriddhiman Saha was five not out as India trail by 482 runs and need another 282 runs to save the ignominy of follow-on.
Peter Siddle struck twice to remove Sachin Tendulkar (25) and Gautam Gambhir (34) while spinner Nathan Lyon picked up V.V.S.Laxman (18).
Resuming at overnight score of 61/2, Indian batsmen struggled to get their act right on a perfect batting track and could score just 61 runs losing three wickets during the first session of the day.
More than 27,000 crowd turned up at the Adelaide Oval on the occasion of Australia Day, that also coincided with India’s Republic Day, hoping to see Tendulkar get his 100th international century in the city of Don Bradman.
But Tendulkar edged a low catch to Ricky Ponting at second slip to make it 78/3 and Gambhir fell in Siddle’s next over when the batsman popped a short ball to Mike Hussey at gully.
Laxman’s poor run in the series continued when he was caught behind edging a cut shot from Lyon as keeper Brad Haddin pouched a neat catch.
- Adelaide Test: Kohli hunts for ton but Australia in control (Second Lead) - Jan 26, 2012
- Australia in command despite Kohli's maiden Test hundred (Roundup) - Jan 26, 2012
- Lunch scoreboard: India vs. Australia, Day Three, Fourth Test - Jan 26, 2012
- Tea scoreboard: India vs. Australia, Day Three, Fourth Test - Jan 26, 2012
- Scoreboard: India vs. Australia, Day Three, Fourth Test - Jan 26, 2012
- India loses Adelaide Test -- another 0-4 whitewash (Lead) - Jan 28, 2012
- Australia four wickets away from 4-0 whitewash of India (Roundup) - Jan 27, 2012
- Final scoreboard: India vs. Australia, Fourth Test - Jan 28, 2012
- Scoreboard: India vs. Australia, Day Four, Fourth Test - Jan 27, 2012
- Australia bat in fourth Test - Jan 24, 2012
- Scoreboard: India vs. Australia, Day Two, Fourth Test - Jan 25, 2012
- India 61/2 at stumps - Jan 25, 2012
- Indian bowlers strike hard after batsmen fail (Roundup) - Jun 29, 2011
- 'If confidence down, even good pitches create problems' - Jan 26, 2012
- Indian batsmen warm up in style, Tendulkar top scores with 92 - Dec 16, 2011
Tags: adelaide oval, australia day, batsman, cricket test, don bradman, gautam gambhir, gully, indian batsmen, kohli, mike hussey, ponting, republic day, saha, siddle, tendulkar, test lead, third day, v v s laxman, wicketkeeper, wickets