India-South Africa Davis Cup tie likely at select venueMay 13th, 2009 - 4:30 pm ICT by IANS
By Fakir Hassen
Johannesburg, May 13 (IANS) Hopes of residents of Soweto, the largest township in South Africa, that they may see Indian tennis stars like Leander Paes and Mahesh Bhupathi in action there in September may be slim.
The Davis Cup tennis fight for a position in the World Group between India and South Africa may be played at the prestigious Emperors Palace here if a sponsor can be found in time, organisers said.
The two countries were drawn in London Tuesday for the tourney Sep 18-20 this year.
Locals expressed hopes that after South Africa beat Belarus in Soweto at the weekend in a Euro-Africa Group One tie, the India-South Africa clash would also take place there.
But South African Tennis Association (SATA) chairman Johann Koorts told the Afrikaans daily Beeld here that this would be “unlikely, though not impossible.”
The Belarus games had taken place in Soweto because facilities had already been in place after the Soweto Open recently, but all these matches had drawn poor crowds.
Koorts said negotiations would be started with Emperors Palace, a popular entertainment resort here, to host the Indian visit if a sponsor for the television broadcast could be found.
Although costs were still being worked out, it could cost between 700,000 and 1.5 million rands to host the Indian visitors.
- Ex-Proteas rugby star murders three with an axe in act of revenge - Mar 31, 2011
- Euphoria over MTN-Bharti transaction wanes in South Africa - May 27, 2009
- India, South Africa CEOs seek removal of trade barriers - Aug 29, 2011
- Hyderabad to host Junior World TT tourney in 2012 - Apr 02, 2012
- Caution sets in over proposed Bharti, MTN telecom pact (Lead) - May 27, 2009
- Aegis takes over South African outsourcer - Jul 10, 2009
- Dead newborn baby found at Oprah Winfrey's South African girls school - Feb 19, 2011
- Strict curfew ensures that no South African player can do a Haider on tour: CSA boss - Nov 12, 2010
- Patil to visit South Africa, Seychelles - Apr 27, 2012
- India, southern African nations to have trade pact - Sep 22, 2011
- National grass court tennis from Feb 6 (Lead) - Feb 01, 2012
- National Grass Court Tennis meet from Feb 6 - Feb 01, 2012
- South Africa enters Guinness book with largest soccer ball - Jul 06, 2010
- Vishnu Vardhan top seed in ITF event - May 23, 2012
- India-South Africa draw recalls 1974 apartheid default win - May 13, 2009
Tags: africa group, beeld, davis cup, davis cup tennis, davis cup tie, emperors palace, fakir, hassen, india south, indian tennis, indian visitors, leander paes, mahesh bhupathi, popular entertainment, rands, soweto, television broadcast, tennis association, tennis stars, world group