India set up a Davis Cup date with AustraliaMarch 8th, 2009 - 9:14 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 8 (IANS) After their second-round win over hosts Chinese Taipei (Taiwan), India will now take on 28-times champions Australia at home in the third round of the Davis Cup Asia-Oceania Group I from May 8-10.
Australia beat Thailand 3-2 in an away clash.
In Kaohsiung, Somdev Devvarman shocked Taiwan’s top player Lu Yen-hsun 6-1, 6-2, 6-3 in the first reverse singles to wrap the tie for India.
The Indians led 2-1 Saturday riding on the 22nd consecutive Davis Cup win of Leader Paes and Mahesh Bhupathi, who won the doubles rubber after the honours were shared on the opening day, Friday.
In Bangkok, Australia bounced back from the 6-2, 6-4, 6-7 (2), 4-6, 1-6 stunning loss of Lleyton Hewitt at the hands of Danai Udomchoke.
But in the decider Chris Guccione warded off the challenge from of 18-year-old Kittipong Wachiramanowong to ensure a date with India.
The winner of the third round will go into the World Group play-offs.
India last year reached the World Group play-off for the first time since 2005 where they lost 4-1 to Romania in a away tie.
- Switzerland defeats Australia 3-2 in Davis Cup play-off - Sep 19, 2011
- India beat New Zealand in junior Davis Cup - Apr 22, 2011
- Somdev wins Davis Cup tie for India - Mar 08, 2009
- Davis Cup: Yuki gives India 1-0 lead - Sep 14, 2012
- Junior Davis Cup: India beat Sri Lanka 3-0 - Apr 20, 2011
- Wimbledon: Venus Williams crashes out, Djokovic advances (Second Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- After 19 years, Chandigarh to host Davis Cup tie - Sep 02, 2012
- Somdev gives India 1-0 lead in Davis Cup - Mar 06, 2009
- Davis Cup: Somdev to lead India's challenge against Japan - Aug 19, 2011
- Federer beats Hewitt to level Davis Cup play-off at 1-1 - Sep 16, 2011
- Somdev clinches Davis Cup tie for India - Mar 08, 2009
- India, Chinese Taipei drawn 1-1 in Davis Cup - Mar 06, 2009
- India to play Japan in Davis Cup World Group play-off - Jul 13, 2011
- India relegated, Japan through to Davis Cup World Group(Lead) - Sep 18, 2011
- Davis Cup: Japan takes unbeatable 3-1 lead against India - Sep 18, 2011
Tags: asia oceania, chinese taipei, chris guccione, cup asia, danai udomchoke, davis cup, decider, group play, honours, lleyton hewitt, mahesh bhupathi, New Delhi, opening day, paes, play offs, somdev devvarman, stunning loss, taipei taiwan, world group, yen