India retakes second place in ICC Test ChampionshipDecember 23rd, 2008 - 6:37 pm ICT by ANI
Dubai, Dec 23 (ANI): India has reclaimed second position from South Africa in the Reliance Mobile ICC Test Championship following its success over England in the two-Test series.
India won the first Test in Chennai by six wickets and drew the second in Mohali on Tuesday, enough to earn it two ratings points and go ahead of South Africa in second, a position it had briefly enjoyed after its 2-0 home series victory over Australia recently.
However, South Africa can once again regain second position if it wins its current three-match series against Australia by 2-1 or 2-0, or draws it 1-1. Graeme Smiths side can even leapfrog Ricky Pontings side at the top of the ladder by a fraction of a point if it wins the remaining two Tests to sweep the series 3-0.
On the other side of the coin, if Australia wins the last two Tests it will not only widen the gap with South Africa to 15 points but will also dash the Proteas hopes of regaining the second position from India.
Meanwhile, there was no change in the West Indies and New Zealands pre-series points and positions after their two-Test series ended in a 0-0 draw in Napier on Tuesday.
The West Indiess next Test commitment is in February when it hosts England for a four-Test series while New Zealand plays India in its own backyard in a two-Test series in March. (ANI)
- England maintain lead in Test rankings, India slip to 5th - Jul 14, 2012
- India move ahead of England after 2-0 lead in ODI series - Oct 18, 2011
- Test rankings: England on top, India third - Apr 07, 2012
- Younus Khan jumps 11 places in ICC rankings (Lead) - Dec 13, 2011
- India may slip to fourth spot in ICC Test rankings - Mar 30, 2012
- South Africa aim for clean sweep to claim No.1 ranking - Mar 06, 2012
- Younus Khan moves up on rankings ladder - Dec 13, 2011
- South Africa retains second spot in ICC Test ranking despite draws against Pak - Nov 25, 2010
- India move to third spot in ICC ODI rankings - Oct 26, 2011
- England deserve to be No.1 Test team: ICC - Aug 13, 2011
- England secure top spot in ICC Test championship table - Mar 11, 2012
- India drop to third place in ICC Test rankings - Jan 28, 2012
- Australia goes ahead of India in Test rankings - Apr 29, 2012
- England consolidate their lead in Test rankings - Jun 12, 2012
- Chanderpaul back as No.1 Test batsman - Apr 29, 2012
Tags: chennai, first test, fraction, gap, mohali, napier, new zealands, own backyard, proteas, reliance mobile, ricky, series 3, series victory, smiths, south africa, test championship, test series, top of the ladder, west indies, wickets