India retain Davis Cup team for Australia tieApril 16th, 2009 - 4:41 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 16 (IANS) India retained their Davis Cup team that beat Chinese Taipei (Taiwan) for the round three Asia Oceania group tie against Australia in Chennai May 8-10.
The only addition to the team is junior Australian Open champion Yuki Bhambri, who has been included as a reserve player.
The All India Tennis Association (AITA) announced the team Thursday, a day before the the Davis Cup Committee decides on the security clearance of the venue.
The selection committee retained the team, comprising Leander Paes, Mahesh Bhupathi, Rohan Bopanna and Somdev Devvarman, which won the second round tie against Chinese Taipei (Taiwan) 3-2. Yuki will join as the reserve while S.P. Misra will be the non-playing captain.
Tennis Australia had last month requested to switch the tie from India citing security concerns post Mumbai terror attack and also the ambush of Sri Lankan cricketers in Lahore in March.
The International Tennis Federation (ITF) carried out a security check following the development.
AITA secretary general Anil Khanna said he is confident that Australia would be asked to travel to India to play the tie.
“The decision of the Davis Cup Committee regarding the venue will come on April 17. I am confident that Australia will be asked to visit Chennai for the Davis Cup tie. I am sure they will abide by the decision and send their best Davis Cup Team to Chennai,” Khanna said in a statement.
“We look forward to receive the Australian team and especially Lleyton Hewitt, who has won an ATP Tour title after two years.”
Khanna reiterated that Chennai is a safe place to hold the tie.
“The AITA has presented a very comprehensive security plan to the ITF which starts from arrival of the team at the airport, their transportation from airport, stay in the hotel and transportation from hotel to the stadium.
“The Commissioner of Police, Chennai has promised 200 security personnel comprising of police personnel in uniform and in plain clothes. In addition, security personnel will also be posted at the hotel and will accompany the team,” Khanna said,
The draw for the event will take place May 7.
- Indian team leaves for World junior tennis finals - Jul 29, 2011
- Bhupathi-Bopanna dropped from Davis Cup team - Aug 18, 2012
- Mahesh Bhupathi opts out of Davis Cup tie - Mar 06, 2012
- Aircel to sponsor Indian Davis Cup team - Sep 09, 2011
- Chennai to host India-Australia Davis Cup tie - Mar 17, 2009
- World tennis body voted for Chennai: Khanna - Apr 18, 2009
- Chandigarh to host India-New Zealand Davis Cup tie - Apr 10, 2012
- Davis Cup: Somdev to lead India's challenge against Japan - Aug 19, 2011
- Australia mulling boycott of Davis Cup tie - Apr 18, 2009
- French title will not get Sania-Bhupathi London ticket - Jun 08, 2012
- Davis Cup: India captain weighs his options - Sep 12, 2012
- Chennai as Davis Cup venue never in doubt: Khanna(Lead) - Apr 18, 2009
- After 19 years, Chandigarh to host Davis Cup tie - Sep 02, 2012
- Yuki in Davis Cup squad for tie against South Africa - Sep 08, 2009
- India may go back to grass if they play at home - Jun 20, 2011
Tags: aita, asia oceania, atp tour, australian open champion, chinese taipei, commissioner of police, cup committee, davis cup, davis cup team, davis cup tie, international tennis federation, leander paes, lleyton hewitt, mahesh bhupathi, rohan bopanna, somdev devvarman, sri lankan cricketers, taipei taiwan, tennis australia, yuki bhambri