India readies for Asia U-18 basketball championshipAugust 16th, 2012 - 3:49 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 16 (IANS) The Basketball Federation of India (BFI) announced its contingent for the 22nd FIBA Asia Under-18 Championship for men to be held in Mongolia August 17-26.
The team coached by Jai Prakash Singh will comprise of Akash Bhasin, Khusmeet Singh Atwal, Karthickeyan Saminathan, Sreerag Narayanan Nair, Loveneet Singh, Amit Kanarjee, Narender, Shyam Sunder, Karan Harold Joshua, Rakesh, Ajay Pratap Singh, Palpreet Singh Brar.
Pawan Kumar will be the assistant coach.
The team has been preparing for the championship at the national coaching camp held from on August 1 at the Indira Gandhi Stadium here.
Sixteen teams that will be participate are:
Group A: China, Hong Kong, Lebanon and India; Group B: Korea, Japan, Singapore and Syria; Group C: Chinese Taipei, Indonesia, Bahrain and Mongolia; Group D: Iran, Kazakhstan, Philippines and Saudi Arabia.
This tournament is the qualifying event for the 2013 FIBA Under-19 World Championship to be played in the Czech Republic. The top three teams will represent Asia. This is the first time Mongolia is hosting an International Basketball Federation (FIBA) Asia event with the host nation making its debut.
- Indian basketball's CEO Harish Sharma dead - Feb 11, 2012
- India announce squad for inaugural 3x3 World Youth Basketball - Aug 26, 2011
- Indian U-18 team named for Asian women's basketball meet - Sep 21, 2012
- Indian basketball teams announced for Asian Beach Games - Jun 15, 2012
- India lose to Iran in Asia Cup basketball - Sep 14, 2012
- Rajasthan, Andhra win twice in junior basketball - May 24, 2012
- Military to guard NBA stars at Olympic qualifiers - Jun 09, 2012
- Jayram to lead Indian basketball team - Jul 28, 2009
- National Basketball: Services stretched by Chattisgarh (Lead) - Dec 16, 2011
- Delhi School Basketball League returns for second season - Jul 25, 2011
- Army Inter Command Basketball Championship kicks off in New Delhi - Jul 07, 2010
- Roopam Sharma new secretary of Delhi Basketball Association - Apr 09, 2012
- Not easy to adopt basketball in Youth Olympics: Rogge - Aug 24, 2010
- NBA to stage first camp in India - May 01, 2008
- India beat Sri Lanka, qualify for Asian Basketball Championship - Jul 15, 2011
Tags: ajay, asia event, assistant coach, atwal, basketball championship, bhasin, brar, china hong kong, chinese taipei, fiba asia, host nation, india group, indira gandhi, international basketball federation, korea japan, narayanan, national coaching, pawan kumar, pratap singh, rakesh