India provisionally awarded to host 2010 World Cup HockeyNovember 14th, 2007 - 10:15 am ICT by admin
International Hockey Federation (FIH) president Els van Breda Vriesman said on Wednesday that India has been asked to meet certain targets by March 2008 before the world governing body gives final confirmation.
“Promoting hockey in India is crucial and I really call upon the positive attitude of the press in promoting the world cup which is so important for this sport in India. It is a happy day for India and this day is a happy day for International Hockey Federation too,” said Vriesman.
The championship is seen as part of the FIH’s bid to halt the slide at world level of the former eight-times Olympic champions India and also tap into country’s booming economy for sponsors.
India recently won the Asia Cup hockey title in Chennai on September 09 defeating South Korea by 7-2.
Hockey is India’s national game and the country notched eight Olympic titles, but the nation’s cricket-crazy fans are quickly losing interest in the sport following two decades of failures in global hockey events.
Indian hockey has been in steady decline since the 1970s and 80s, coinciding with the game’s switch to artificial turf with more emphasis on power, speed and accuracy than deft stick work.
The Hockey World Cup was first held in Barcelona, Spain in 1971, when Pakistan won the title. Since then the event has travelled to nine countries and seen five different winners hold the Cup aloft. India hosted the Men’s Hockey World Cup in 1982 in Mumbai. (ANI)
- World hockey looking at India as major hub for the sport - Feb 27, 2012
- HI requests SAI not to allow WSH at National Stadium - Nov 29, 2011
- Gill turns down merger proposal with HI - Jun 24, 2011
- HC verdict reinforces our stand on WSH: FIH - Feb 15, 2012
- FIH looks at India as a major hockey hub - May 11, 2011
- India to host inaugural World Hockey League final - Feb 22, 2012
- Delhi to host Champions Trophy, Olympic qualifiers - Feb 05, 2011
- FIH rejects HI-IHF unification (Lead) - Jul 29, 2011
- HI charges IHF with sabotaging India's Olympic preparations - Oct 07, 2011
- FIH frowns at HI-IHF unification, pulls tournaments out of India - Jul 29, 2011
- FIH decision unfortunate,uncalled for: IOA - Sep 06, 2011
- Delhi to host men's Champions Trophy and Olympic qualifiers - Apr 15, 2011
- Asia to host hockey's five continents tournament - May 06, 2011
- Pakistan's Shakeel Abbasi braves ban to play in WSH - Mar 02, 2012
- Sports ministry to evaluate HI-IHF power sharing formula - Aug 04, 2011
Tags: 2010 world cup, asia cup, barcelona spain, crazy fans, crucial, fih, happy day, hockey events, hockey title, hockey world cup, indian hockey, international hockey federation, national hockey stadium, olympic titles, positive attitude, sport in india, van breda, world cup hockey, world governing body