India play Singapore first in Fed CupFebruary 2nd, 2010 - 9:41 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 2 (IANS) India have been drawn in pool A of Asia-Oceania Group II along with Malaysia and Singapore in the Fed Cup tennis, beginning Wednesday at the National Tennis Centre in Kuala Lumpur.
India will play Singapore first Thursday and Malaysia the next day.
India coach Enrico Piperno told IANS from the Malaysian capital that the courts at the venue are similiar to the ones back home on which the Indians practised.
Piperno said the weather is warm and muggy, but it should not be much of concern for his players.
India hopes rest on Sania Mirza’s form since she would be playing in both the singles and doubles.
Piperno, however, maintained that he would decide on the doubles combination only on the eve of the match.
India should easily top the pool and their main competition comes in the play-off where they are expected to run into either Kyrgyzstan or Hong Kong China.
India last year were relegated to Group II after they lost 0-3 to Chinese Taipei(Taiwan) in the play-off.
Pool B teams include Hong Kong, China, Kyrgyzstan, Malaysia, Philippines and Syria.
India: Sania Mirza, Poojashree Venkatesha, Sanaa Bhambri, Rushmi Chakravarthi, Rohit Rajpal (captain)
Malaysia: Jawairiah Noordin, Lyn Yee Choo, Neesha Thirumalaichelvam, Chin-Bee Khoo, Singham Selvarajoo (captain)
Singapore: Li Yun Tan, Si Ying Julienne Keong, Khee Yen Wee, Clare Fong, Stanley Armando (captain).
–Indo-Asian Newsw Service
- Fed Cup: India outplay Singapore, play Malaysia Friday - Feb 04, 2010
- Indian Fed Cup team favourite to qualify: Piperno - Feb 01, 2010
- Sania and Poojashree too good for Malaysians - Feb 05, 2010
- Fed Cup: India promoted to Asia-Oceania Group I - Feb 06, 2010
- Sania Mirza to lead India in Fed Cup - Dec 26, 2011
- Asian Games: Somdev wins singles, men's hockey team disappoints (Roundup) - Nov 23, 2010
- India grouped with Pakistan, Japan in Asian Games hockey - Oct 20, 2010
- Asian Games tennis: Sania breezes into second round, Poojashree loses - Nov 18, 2010
- Indian team announced for junior women's Asia Cup - Jun 05, 2012
- Sonia, Somdev get wild card entry for London Olympics - Jun 26, 2012
- Sania dedicates opening Asian Games victory to hubby Shoaib - Nov 19, 2010
- Tennis gold-silver, archery bronze take India's Asiad tally to 36 (Evening Lead) - Nov 22, 2010
- Nirupama Sanjeev included in CWG tennis team - Aug 19, 2010
- India's Asiad tally rises to 36, nine medals assured in boxing (Roundup) - Nov 22, 2010
- Tsunami alert following Indonesia quake - Apr 11, 2012
Tags: asia oceania, chinese taipei, feb 2, fed cup, fed cup tennis, first thursday, hong kong china, julienne, li yun, malaysia and singapore, national tennis centre, neesha, newsw, piperno, rohit rajpal, rushmi chakravarthi, sanaa bhambri, sania mirza, singham, taipei taiwan